The following data is extracted from Muskogee And Northeastern Oklahoma.
Modern progressive agriculture in Washington county finds a prominent representative in Frank Harris, who is the owner of a desirable farm near Ochelata which in its neat and thrifty appearance gives every indication of the practical methods and careful supervision of the owner. He was born in Greene county, Illinois, of the marriage of Martin A. and Mary (King) Harris, the latter also a native of that county. The father was born in France and was brought to the United States when but three years old. He is a farmer by occupation and is now residing at Ramona, where he has made his home since 1901. To Mr. and Mrs. Harris were born three children: Mrs. Annie Hazell of Missouri; Charles, a resident of Ramona; and Frank, the subject of this review.
The last named acquired his education in the grammar and high schools of Arrow Rock, Missouri, and in 1899 he came to Oklahoma, locating at Talala, in Rogers county, where he engaged in farming and cattle raising until 1908. He then moved to the west side of the Caney river, where he was similarly employed until 1911, when he purchased eight hundred and thirty acres of land four miles east and one mile south of Ochelata. Of this tract he farms two hundred and seventy-five acres and he also devotes considerable attention to stock raising, now having one hundred head of cattle, while he recently sold the same number. He has thirty-two thoroughbred Poland China hogs, paying one hundred dollars each for the sows and seventy-five dollars each for the males, and he also has forty-five head of mules. He has ten acres in alfalfa and is raising red clover very successfully, having over seventy-five acres seeded to this crop, which has run as high as five tons to the acre. He was the first to introduce the growing of red clover in this section and is a most progressive farmer. He has made all of the improvements on his land, including the erection of a comfortable home and substantial outbuildings, and everything is kept in a state of good repair, while in the cultivation of his fields he utilizes the best machinery and equipment.
He has advanced with the scientific progress of agriculture, keeping abreast of the times in every way, and has transformed his farm into one of the most attractive places in the county.
In 1896 Mr. Harris was united in marriage to Miss Cora Eades, a daughter of Horace and Jennie (Brisco) Eades and a native of Cooper county, Missouri. To this union have been born six children: Mary, Frank, Katherine, Joe, Helen and Cora. Mr. Harris gives his political support to the Democratic Party and is an active worker in its ranks. Recognizing the obligations, as well as the privileges, of citizenship, he has taken a prominent part in public affairs and for two terms served as county commissioner of Washington County, discharging the duties of that office with faithfulness and efficiency. He possesses those qualities which make for leadership and his spirit of initiative has led him into new fields wherein he has set advanced standards for agricultural development in this section of the state. Alert, energetic and determined, he typifies in his life the progressive spirit of the west and is a man whom to know is to esteem and admire.
Source: Muskogee And Northeastern Oklahoma