Thayer, Charles D.
The following data is extracted from Windham County, Connecticut History.
John and Dacy Thayer were the grandparents of the subject of this biography. Their son John married Ruth Mowery and settled in East Douglas. The children of this marriage were: Mowery, born April 27th, 1811; Charles D., December 26th, 1813; Arrilla, August 9th, 1815.
Charles D., the second son, is a native of Douglas, Massachusetts, where he enjoyed the advantages of the public schools, and afterward continued his studies at the Oxford and Uxbridge high schools. He then taught for several terms, and afterward began his business career as a clerk, first at Oxford and then at New Boston. This sedentary life, however, was not to his taste, and he resolved to make farming the vocation of his .life. He assumed charge of his father's farm in New Boston, managed it with success during the latter's lifetime, and on his death received a deed of the property, the elder son also enjoying a like inheritance. Mr. Thayer remained on this farm from 1838 until 1869, when his present home near New Boston was purchased. Here he has .since continued the employments of an agriculturist.
His business life has been one of integrity and principle. This fact, together with experience and judgment, have rendered his services much sought as trustee and executor. He was formerly a director of the Thompson National Bank. A democrat in his. political views, he has served as assessor, selectman, and in other offices, and received the nomination as candidate for the state legislature, but yielded to the superior strength of the opposing party. Mr. Thayer married November 12th, 1843, Lucy E., daughter of David Nichols, of Thompson. Their children are: David N., born December 10th, 1844; John M., March 16th, 1847; Arrilla R., February 4th, 1850; and Charles F., November 6th, 1852. Charles F. married Mary Hewitt, of Preston, Connecticut. David N. is a resident of New York, and his brothers are successful lawyers in Norwich, Connecticut.
Source: Windham County, Connecticut History