Sanborn, J. H., Dr.
The following data is extracted from Merrimack and Sullivan Counties, New Hampshire Biographies.
Dr. J. H. Sanborn, a retired physician of Franklin Falls, was born in Meredith, N.H., September 23, 1830, son of John and Susan (Hubbard) Sanborn. His grandfather, Jeremiah Sanborn, represented Sanbornton in the first legislature, that met in Exeter in 1784. Highly prized by the family are a compass, a book on surveying, and a powder-horn that belonged to Jeremiah, all over one hundred and twenty-five years old. Another cherished relic is a pewter platter that has been handed down in the Hubbard family for two hundred and sixty-five years, since it was brought over from England.
Dr. John Sanborn, the father of the subject of this article, lived in Sanbornton until 1815. Then he moved to Meredith, N.H., and there practised medicine till his death, which occurred in 1870. His wife died in 1866. Of their four children the third died in infancy. The others were: Jesse Appleton, Susan Catherine, and J. H. Jesse was a physician at Plymouth, and is now deceased. Susan Catherine became the wife of Levi Leach, both of whom are also deceased.
Dr. J. H. Sanborn, the subject of this sketch, received his early education in the common schools of Meredith and at Gilmanton Academy. Then he studied medicine with his father and brother, and later on with Dr. Benjamin R. Palmer, of Woodstock, Vt., and the president of Vermont Medical College. At the end of the four years spent in this way he then went to Berkshire Medical College at Pittsfield, Mass., and remained there from 1850 till 1852. He also attended the Medical College at Woodstock, Vt. He received his medical certificate in November, 1852, and then began practice with his father in Meredith. In the following year he went to Alstead, and had been there three years when he returned to Meredith, and practised from 1856 till September, 1862. He was then commissioned as Assistant Surgeon in the army, and continued in service up to July, 1864, when he was honorably discharged on account of physical disability. He returned to Meredith, and was there engaged in his profession until January 20, 1874, when he came to Franklin Falls. Here he has remained since, having his office at his residence. He is a comrade of George F. Swett Post, G. A. R., of Franklin Falls; and he is a Royal Arch Mason, having membership in Meridian Lodge, No. 60, F. & A. M. He has always taken an active interest in politics, and has the remarkable record of never having missed an election. He has been a stanch Republican since he cast his first vote for Fremont, and he is a member of the Congregational church at Meredith.
The Doctor was married May 16, 1854, to Elizabeth H. Leach, daughter of the Rev. Giles Leach, a Congregational minister of Meredith. Born March 23, 1834, she died February 18, 1895. Four children came of this union; namely, Giles Leach, Hattie L., Susan Lillian, and Elizabeth Thompson. Giles Leach, born March 26, 1855, died in August, 1855. Hattie L., born June 21, 1856, became the wife of Edgar A. Jones, who is employed in the counting-room at Aiken's Mill. They now reside with the Doctor. Susan Lillian, born in 1861, died in 1872; and Elizabeth T., born in 1873, died January 17, 1887.
Source: Merrimack and Sullivan Counties, New Hampshire Biographies