Shive, Edison E.
The following data is extracted from A Standard History of Kansas and Kansans.
Edison E. Shive. The Shive family have been identified with Kansas more than forty-five years and have supplied much of the means and personal ability to the banking business of Harvey and Reno counties.
The founder of the family is Mr. John W. Shive, now a resident of Burrton. He was born in Barren County, Kentucky, August 1, 1841, and remained in his native state until after the war. He was a Union man and in 1862 enlisted in Company K of the Ninth Kentucky Regiment of Infantry. He fought at the battle of Shiloh, and at the battle of Murfreesboro was shot in the leg and though incapacitated for field service was in the war by re-enlistment until the close. After the war he removed to Missouri, where he taught school, and in 1871 became a pioneer homesteader in Lake Township of Harvey County, where he acquired 160 acres of land. That original quarter section is still owned by him. He had been highly prospered in his business and other relations in Kansas, and today owned 960 acres in Harvey County besides much other land in other parts of the state and in other states.
He is president of the Burrton State Bank, having been with that institution when it was established in 1899 under a state charter. At that time the J. A. Welch & Son private bank and the Bank of Burrton were consolidated, making the Burrton State Bank. The officers of this institution are: J. W. Shive, president; Eldo Jones, vice president; J. T. Shive, cashier; Ella Shive, assistant cashier. The bank had a capital of $35,000, surplus of equal amount, and deposits of $311,000. The banking house is on Main Street, where J. W. Shive also had his home. J. W. Shive was a democrat before the war, but the war changed his politics and he had since been a republican. He is a thirty-second degree Scottish Rite Mason, a Knight Templar and Royal Arch and belongs to Midian Temple of the Mystic Shrine at Wichita. Besides the Burrton State Bank he is a director of the Farmers State Bank of Thuron and of the Galesburg State Bank.
John W. Shive married Mary J. Byers, who was born at Monticello, Iowa, in 1854 and died at Burrton, Kansas, in 1916. Their children are: J. T., cashier of the Burrton State Bank; Edison E.; Sallie, wife of H. V. Kackley, who lives at Burrton and is a real estate and insurance man and also is employed in the Burrton State Bank; Ella, assistant cashier of the Burrton State Bank; and John W., Jr., who was formerly cashier of the Bank of Galesburg but is now in the second officers' training camp at Fort Sheridan, Illinois. Mr. John W. Shive married for his present wife Mrs. Lula Cole, of Kentucky.
Edison E. Shive, son of John W., had been in banking for a number of years and is now president and cashier of the Farmers State Bank at Turon in Reno County. He was born in Harvey County September 3, 1879, was graduated from the Burrton High School in 1898, and in April of that year enlisted at the outbreak of the Spanish-American. War in Company E of the Twenty-first Kansas Regiment. He was with that regiment, chiefly in the camp at Chickamauga, Georgia, until mustered out in December, 1898. The record of the regiment will be found on other pages. He then entered Kansas University for two years, and in 1900 began his banking career with the Burrton State Bank as bookkeeper. He was promoted to assistant cashier, and in 1904 came to Turon and established the Farmers State Bank, in which he took the office of cashier. The present officers of this institution are: Mr. Shive, president and cashier; J. H. Sprout, vice president; and Flora A. Shive, assistant cashier. The bank is a sound and serviceable institution with capital of $20,000, surplus of $5,000 and deposits of $160,000.
Mr. Edison Shive is a republican in politics. He is a member of the Kansas Bankers' Association and the American Bankers' Association, is a member of William Irwin Camp No. 7 of the American Spanish War Veterans, and is affiliated with Turon Lodge No. 358, Ancient Free and Accepted Masons, Hutchinson Chapter No. 34, Royal Arch Masons, Hutchinson Commandery of the Knights Templar, Turon Chapter No. 312, Order of the Eastern Star, Wichita Consistory No. 2 of the Scottish Rite, Hutchinson Lodge No. 453, Benevolent and Protective Order of Elks, and Turon Camp of the Modern Woodmen of America.
Mr. Shive and family have a good home on Burns Street in Turon, having remodeled the house in 1907. In 1905 Mr. Shive married at Chase, Kansas, Flora A. Wade, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. E. D. Wade, both now deceased. Her father was an engineer by trade, lived at Burrton, and for a number of years operated a threshing outfit. Mr. and Mrs. Shive have one daughter, Virginia, born December 23, 1911.
The Shive family had been in America for several generations. The founder of the family was the great-grandfather of Edison Shive. This ancestor came out of Germany and first settled in Virginia but afterwards moved to Kentucky.
Source: A Standard History of Kansas and Kansans