Hendry, Alexander Sutherland
The following data is extracted from A Standard History of Kansas and Kansans.
Alexander Sutherland Hendry, who for more than a quarter of a century had practiced law at McPherson, is a member of the Hendry family which was so conspicuously identified with the early history of this section of the state. His father was one of the founders of the Ashtabula Colony and for years was prominent in the public and business life of McPherson.
His father was the late Hiram A. Hendry, born at Jefferson, Ohio, in 1837, son of Samuel A. Hendry, likewise a native of the same section of Ohio. Hiram Hendry had a college education, and at the age of twenty-two years took up the profession of pharmacy at Ashtabula, Ohio. His business and professional partner was Doctor King. In 1871 the Ashtabula Colony was organized in the Hendry and King Drug Store. Doctor King was sent by the organization to Kansas for the purpose of viewing a location where the members of the colony might settle, secure lands, and introduce the influences and ideals represented by the organization. Doctor King favored the conditions in McPherson County, and in 1872 the colony arrived, each of its twenty-five or thirty members securing government land in King City Township, in the central part of McPherson County.
Hiram Hendry was very active in the colony's affairs from the beginning and one of its official members. In 1872, when the McPherson Town Company was organized, he became its secretary, and held that office until the company was dissolved. From participation in the affairs of the colony his interests became widespread so as to include both the town and county. He was one of the charter members of the Congregational Church of McPherson. He was also a Mason and a republican, though never a seeker for public office. The death of this honored pioneer occurred at McPherson November 20, 1907.
He married May 22, 1864, at Mansfield; Ohio, Miss Julia M. Sutherland, second daughter of Dr. A. and Maria (Bowland) Sutherland, who were natives of Pennsylvania. Mrs. Hendry was born at Mansfield, Ohio, and died at McPherson, Kansas, September 7, 1901. She was active in the Congregational Church all her life. To this pioneer couple were born three children, two sons and one daughter: Alexander Sutherland; Harry Sutherland, who was born February 22, 1867; and Ada E. Hendry, who is now city librarian of McPherson.
Alexander Sutherland Hendry was born at Ashtabula, Ohio, May 20, 1865. He had lived in McPherson County since he was seven years of age, secured his education in the public schools of McPherson, and was graduated from the high school in 1884. Taking up the study of law with Judges N. P. Simpson and Lucien Earle of McPherson, he pursued his work steadily until admitted to the bar January 28, 1890, at McPherson. Since then he had practiced in all the courts, had handled a large volume of litigation and is one of the prominent lawyers of Central Kansas. He was admitted to the Kansas Supreme Court June 7, 1916. Mr. Hendry had been active in state and county republican politics, but had never held any official place. He is a member of the Masonic and Elks orders. He is unmarried.
Source: A Standard History of Kansas and Kansans