Dierker, Otto F., M. D.
The following data is extracted from A Standard History of Kansas and Kansans.
Otto F. Dierker, M. D. Among the well-established physicians and surgeons of Lincoln County, Kansas, no one is held more trustworthy than Dr. Otto F. Dierker, who had been suecessfully engaged in the practice of his profession at Sylvan Grove, Kansas, since 1905, coming here shortly after his graduation from college and the securing of his degree. It is creditable both to Doctor Dierker and to the people of this pleasant little city that the cordial relations established at this time have never been severed, there being warm friendship, trust and appreciation on both sides. Doctor Dierker had built up a large and substantial practice through his professional knowledge and skill and at present is serving as city health officer.
Otto F. Dierker was born at Sweet Springs in Saline County, Missouri, February 1, 1882, and is a son of William F. and Adeline (Schelp) Dierker, still residing at Sweet Springs. The paternal grandfather, Frederick Dierker, was born in Hanover, Germany, and came with his family to America in 1853. His business was farming and he settled in Franklin County, Missouri. From there in 1874 he removed to Saline County, Missouri, and there engaged in agricultural pursuits until the end of his life. William F. Dierker, his son and father of Doctor Dierker, was born in 1853, in Germany, and was reared in Franklin County, Missouri, later becoming a farmer in Saline County and in 1914 retired from active work on his farm. In that county he was married to Adeline Schelp, who was born in 1860, at Concordia in Lafayette County, Missouri, and eight children were born to them, as follows: Otto F.; Hilda, who is the wife of Fred Wienberg, a farmer near Sweet Springs, Missouri; Wilham H., who is a farmer residing in Lincoln County, five miles from Sylvan Grove; Martin, who is a farmer near Sweet Springs, Missouri; Louis, who lives at Emma, Missouri, is cashier of a bank there; Edwin, who is a minister in the Lutheran Church, now stationed at White City, Kassas; Lillie, who remains with her parents; and Leonard, who at the time of writing is taking a seminary course preparatory to parochial teaching in Lutheran schools.
Otto F. Dierker attended the country schools in Saline County, Missouri, and also Barnett's Academy at Sweet Springs and remained at home, giving his father assistance, until he was twenty years old. Before this time, however, he had determined on his future career and directed his studies along medical lines, finally entering as a medical student the University of Louisville at Louisville, where he completed his course and from which he was graduated with his degree in 1905. He came to Sylvan Grove in the same year and had continued here as a general practitioner. Doctor Dierker keeps well abreast of the times in his profession and occasionally takes advantage of post-graduate courses along certain lines, in 1916 enjoying a thorough course of study and practice in the Chicago Polyclinic and the Chicago Eye, Ear, Nose and Throat College. He maintains his offices in the Sylvan State Bank Building.
Doctor Dierker was married in Lafayette County, Missouri, in 1905, to Miss Helene Niemeyer, who is a daughter of Fred and Louisa (Lohmann) Niemeyer, the latter of whom resided at Concordia, Missouri. The father of Mrs. Dierker is deceased. Doctor and Mrs. Dierker have five children: Clarence, born August 8, 1907; Alice, born April 29, 1909; Roland, born May 30, 1911; Wilbert, born August 5, 1914; and Cecelia, born April 9, 1916. Doctor Dierker and family are members of the Lutheran Church.
In politics Doctor Dierker is a republican and he had been elected by that party to public office, serving four years as a member of the city council, proving during that time how useful a man of medical science could be to a municipality. As city health officer he is careful and observant and under his rigid inspection there is little danger of any epidemic making much headway in Sylvan Grove. He owned a farm of 160 acres situated four miles north of this city, and in 1911 he erected his comfortable residence at Sylvan Grove, installing modern comforts and conveniences. Professionally and personally he is one of the representative men of Sylvan Grove.
Source: A Standard History of Kansas and Kansans