Reed, Fred W.
The following data is extracted from A Standard History of Kansas and Kansans.
Fred W. Reed is publisher and proprietor of the Beattie Eagle, a paper of independent proclivities, issued weekly and with a large circulation and influence in Marshall and surrounding counties.
The Eagle is a continuation of the North Star, founded at Beattie in 1884 by A. J. Tucker. In 1885 the name was changed to the Star, with W. W. Brooks as editor. In 1891 the name was changed to Williamson's Beattie Eagle, and in 1894 was shortened to Beattle Eagle. In 1902 it absorbed the Beattie Palladium, which had been founded in 1898 by J. M. Kendall. Mr. Reed had been the active proprietor of this paper since 1913.
He was born at Liberty, Nebraska, October 6, 1884. His ancestry, the Reeds, were Hollanders originally and in Colonial times came to America and located in New York. His father, John Heary Reed, was born at Momence, Illinois, in 1851, was reared there and took up the trade of carpenter. As an employe of the Rock Island Railway Company he came to Kansas in 1880, locating for a time in Marysville. In 1883 he removed to Nehraska, continuing his trade, but for the past eighteen years his work had been in Kansas, at Wichita and other places. He is a dembcrat, and for several terms served on the council at Liberty, Nebraska. He belongs to the Methodist Episcopal Church.
John H. Reed married Anna C. Ausnus, who was born in Tazewell County, Tennessee. She makes her home with her son Fred. Besides him she had a daughter Grace, who died in November, 1915, the wife of W. H. Goin, a farmer six miles southwest of Beattie.
Fred W. Reed grew up at Liberty, Nebraska, attended public schools and graduated from high school there. In the meantime he had begun to learn the printer's trade and also worked a year in railroad offices of the Burlington & Missouri River Railway at Liberty, now part of the Burlington system. In 1904 he became a regular printer with the Journal at Liberty, and continued until January, 1906. At that date he removed to Beatrice, Nebraska, and for a few months was associated with the famous Walt Mason on his monthly magazine. He then returned to Liberty for a short time, and from June, 1906, until April, 1907, was with the Marshall County News, under George T. Smith. Mr. Reed next bought the Atwood Patriot, but sold that journal in December, 1909. Then followed a year of illness and recuperation, spent chiefly in Marysville. He visited Denver and other places and finally re-entered the employ of George T. Smith, with whom he remained until December, 1911. For a couple of years he was at Hoxie with Frank McIvor on the Hoxie Sentinel. In May, 1913, Mr. Reed came to Beattie and bought the Eagle from Edward M. Cannon. The offices and well-equipped plant of the paper are on Main, and Center streets.
Mr. Reed is a Democrat in politics. He belongs to Beattie Lodge No. 289, Ancient Free and Accepted Masous, Atwood Chapter No. 64, Royal Arch Masons, and to the Fraternal Insurance Order, Royal Highlanders. He is also a member of McReynolds Council No. 152, Knights and Ladies of Security, at Beattle. Mr. Reed is a stockholder in the Marshall County Fair Association.
On September 22, 1908, at Marysville, he married Miss Emma L. Heinke, daughter of F. W. and Clara (Kuwitzky) Heinke. Her parents reside at Marysville, her father being a retired farmer and machinist. Mr. and Mrs. Reed have one son, Harold, born November 5, 1909.
Source: A Standard History of Kansas and Kansans