Sturdevant, Robert F., Hon.
The following data is extracted from History of the Pacific Northwest, Oregon and Washington, 1889.
HON. ROBERT F. STURDEVANT. - Mr. Sturdevant is known as the pioneer lawyer of Dayton, Washington, and is one of its most enterprising citizens. His birthplace was Warren county, Pennsylvania; and the date was November 18, 1841. About eighteen months after that important event in his history, his parents moved to Iowa, and settled in Lee county. There they remained until 1854, when they removed to Clark county, Wisconsin. There Robert attended school, and in 1860 began the study of law. He was engaged in professional study and practice till 1873, when, in company with his father and mother and wife, he came to Washington Territory. Their first home was at Olympia. The parents returned to Wisconsin the next year; and Mr. Sturdevant with his family removed to Dayton. There was no lawyer in the city at that time; and Sturdevant's was the first attorney's sign.
In 1875 Columbia county chose the pioneer lawyer her probate judge, thus making him the pioneer at the bench as well as at the bar. In 1878 he was elected prosecuting attorney on the Republican ticket, for the first judicial district of the territory. He served in that office for two years. He has also served as mayor of Dayton, and was a member of the constitutional convention of Washington Territory. Always ready to forward the interests of Dayton, he has used his means largely in making improvements. What is known as the Sturdevant block will long stand as a monument of his business spirit. he is also the owner of much other real estate in the city.
In politics Judge Sturdevant is firmly Republican. he was married in 1866 at Neilville, Wisconsin, to Miss Mary J. Townsley. Eva M. and Edith D. are their two children. A beautiful residence at the west end of Dayton, and a tract of sixty acres adjoining, afford Mr. Sturdevant and his family all the comfort and good cheer of a happy home.
Source: History of the Pacific Northwest, Oregon and Washington, 1889