Cook, W. T.
The following data is extracted from History of the Pacific Northwest, Oregon and Washington, 1889.
W.T. COOK. - There may not be a million dollars at the end of the pathway of every industrious young man; but in this country there is a competency, and, what is more, an honorable business and a happy home. Mr. Cook's career proves this. He was born in Polk county, Missouri, in1848. Being thirteen years of age at the outbreak of the Civil war, his education was neglected for the next five years; but, repairing this loss by his own exertions, he fitted himself as school teacher, and thus supported himself for three years.
Coming to Oregon in 1874, he spent some four months at Harrisburg in Linn county, and continued his explorations by crossing over the Cascade Mountains to Crook county, locating at a point some twenty miles north of Prineville. Teaching and ranching there a year, with nine months more of the same employment in Linn county, brought him up to the year 1876, at which time he received an appointment as enrolling clerk of the Oregon senate at the capitol. In 1877 he was enabled to open a drug store at the town of Peoria in Linn county. In the following year he chose Centerville, in Umatilla county, as his permanent home and business location. Here he went into the drug business with Doctor J.H. Irvine as partner. In1887 the Doctor retired, leaving the whole business to Mr. Cook. Besides his drug property and home, he owns considerable land in Morrow county, thus being well provided for financially.
Mr. Cook has never been a candidate for office yet has been active in politics, serving frequently in county conventions. he was also at the state convention which nominated Thayer as governor in 1878, and served as delegate in the national convention of 1884 which nominated Grover Cleveland for the presidency. He was married in February, 1886, to Miss Ella J. Davidson; and they have a boy, who will continue the fortunes of the family.
Source: History of the Pacific Northwest, Oregon and Washington, 1889