History of Industry in Jaffrey, NH
The following data is extracted from Jaffrey, Cheshire County, New Hampshire History.
The Granite State Hotel, Caldwell Bros., proprietors, located at East Jaffrey, is a fine, three-story, brick building. The present proprietors took possession May 1, 1884, and are sustaining the just celebrity of the house with the public.
The Monadnock National bank, located at East Jaffrey, was incorporated in 1850, with a capital of $50,000.00, as the Monadnock State Bank. Its officers were, John Conant, president; Peter Upton, cashier; and John Conant, Benjamin Cutler, Jonas M. Mellville, James Scott, of Peterboro, Rufus Haywood, Samuel Ryan, Jr., and Solomon Allen, directors. In 1855 John Fox was chosen president, and was succeeded, in 1857, by James Scott, of Peterboro. In 1865 the bank was incorporated as a National bank, under its present name, and re-organized with a capital of $100,000.00, and with the following officers: James Scott, president; Peter Upton, cashier; and James Scott, Benjamin Cutter, Samuel Ryan, Arad Adams, James L. Balster, Joseph T. Biggelow and John Conant, directors. Benjamin Cutter was chosen president in 1870.
The Monadnock Savings bank was incorporated in 1869, with Oscar H. Bradley, president, and Peter Upton, treasurer.
The Proctor House, J. B. Proctor, proprietor, is a fine hotel located on the southern slope of Monadnock mountain.
Jaffrey Cotton-mills. - About October 1, 1884, White Brothers bought the Cheshire Fiber Co.'s mill; a brick structure about 120x40 feet, three stories high, located on the Contoocook river, about one mile below East Jaffrey village. and have refitted it with cotton spinning and carding machinery, and will have that portion of their work done there, and the weaving will then occupy the greater part of the mill at the village.
The Gilmore saw and grist-mills, located on road 29, occupy the site of the first grist-mill, erected by William Davidson, about 100 years ago. That mill, run by him for many years, was finally burned. It was rebuilt by Gardner Bower, who sold to Moses Perkins, he to Levi Daggett, and finally, in r850, it came into the hands of Harvey J. Gilmore. He sold the property to his son, George F., and E. Heath. The former subsequently bought out Mr. Heath and is now sole proprietor. He manufactures lumber and chair-stock and does custom grinding.
Wilber Webster's shoe-knife factory, located at East Jaffrey, was built for a saw-mill, by Reuben Ramsdell, now of Rindge, in 1869. Mr. Webster purchased the property in 1872, and has. carried on the manufacture of shoe knives therein ever since.
Asahel G. Raymond's saw-mill, located in the eastern part of the town, was built about twenty-four years ago. A thriving business is done here. It is a flag station on the Monadnock railroad.
Source: Jaffrey, Cheshire County, New Hampshire History