History of Maufacturing in Harrisville, NH
The following data is extracted from Harrisville, Cheshire County, New Hampshire History.
C. & H Farwell's saw-mill and clothes pin factory, located on road 24, corner of 21, was established by them in 1871. They employ twelve men, and manufacture about l00,000 feet of coarse lumber, and about 15,000 boxes of 720 clothes-pins each, per year.
S. T Symonds & Son's pail handle and knife tray factory, located on road 151, was established by Bemis & Symonds, in 1849, and came under the control of the present firm about 1879. They employ six men, with the capacity for turning out 6,000,000 handles, besides a large number of knife trays and pastry boards per year, and they also saw coarse lumber.
Silas Hardy's saw-mill, grist-null, pail handle and chair stretcher factory, located on road 32, was built by L. L. Howe, in 1880, and sold to Mr. Hardy, of Keene, in 1885. He employs four men, and manufactures about 200,000 feet of coarse lumber per year, and 300 cords of material into chair-stock and pail handles, and also turns out 25,000 shingles and 25,000 laths. The gristmill has one run of stones, and does custom grinding.
Zophar Williard's saw-mill and clothes in factory, located on road 17, was built by A. E. Perry, about 1859. Mr. Williard became a half owner in 1865, and purchased the entire concern in 1876. He employs twelve men, and manufactures about 25,000 feet of lumber, 15,000 boxes, containing 10,800,000 clothes-pins, per year.
Source: Harrisville, Cheshire County, New Hampshire History