The Second Congregational Church
The following data is extracted from Keene, Cheshire County, New Hampshire History.
The Second Congregational church was organized October 16, 1867, with one hundred and twenty-three members, who had seceded from the First church for that purpose. The building and organ cost $35,000.00, and was completed, paid for, and dedicated September 16, 1869, when Rev. Joseph Allen Leach was installed as pastor. Mr. Leach is a native of Rockingham, Vermont, born April 15, 1836, graduated at Amherst college in 1861, at Andover Theological school in 1864, was commissioned chaplain of the 19th Regt. U. S. A., and first settled in Keene as a colleague of Dr. Barstow, at the close of the war. After some eighteen years trial of the free seat system, Rev. Mr. Leach resigned. leaving the church free from debt. They have recently rented the pews. After Mr. Leach resigned, Rev. William Love served the church one year. After this Rev. Mr. Price served one year, and the church has not yet decided on its successor. The society now has 285 members, their property being valued at $40,000.00, and they have also a Sabbath-school with 320 members.
Source: Keene, Cheshire County, New Hampshire History