The following data is extracted from Genealogy and Biography of Ontario County, New York.
Gideon, son of Francis and Cornelia (Van Rensselaer) Granger, was born in Canandaigua, New York, August 30, 1821. His early life was surrounded by all the refinements of a beautiful home, and the most liberal opportunities for gaining a thorough education. Like his father and his grandfather, he was a graduate of Yale College, where he took his degree in 1843. Like them, too. he studied for the legal profession, and had he been so inclined might without doubt have taken a foremost position at the bar. Born with a heart in sympathy with suffering of all kinds, he gave much of his professional skill and time to the service of the poor and needy. This was true also of the labor of his life outside of his profession ; the empty hand or the troubled mind never sought his aid in vain. Prevented by ill health from serving his country in the field, he acted as chairman of the war committee for raising troops during the great struggle for the support of the Union, laboring faithfully to fill the depleted ranks of the army, and to care for the families left behind. The widows and orphans of those who fell on the field he made his special care, and his strength and substance were given out freely for their relief. The revival of the Agricultural Society of the county was also largely due to his activity and interest, and he served as its secretary for twelve years. Indeed, wherever and whenever a public good could be advanced, a charitable deed done, or a gentle word spoken, Gideon Granger was ever foremost, in every act of his daily life following the example of the Saviour, to whose cause he had consecrated himself. He died in Canandaigua, September 3. 1868, aged forty-seven years, six days after his father, Francis Granger.
Gideon Granger married Isaphine Pierson, of Canandaigua. 1868. She died in 1903. Their two children. Antoinette P. and Isaphine P., survive them and are living on the old homestead, which for thirty years was occupied by Granger Place School for Ladies from 1876 to 1906.
Source: Genealogy and Biography of Ontario County, New York