Short, Andrew J.
The following data is extracted from Genealogy and Biography of Ontario County, New York.
Andrew J. Short, owner of "The Maples," at Clifton Springs, Ontario county, New York, has been identified in a prominent manner with the matters connected with electrical engineering and kindred branches, for many years, and is the originator of many novel ideas in this field of industry. His family have been settled in the state of New York for a number of generations, and were connected with agricultural interests.
Andrew Jackson Short, his father, was born in the town of Phelps, Ontario county, New York, in 1837, and lived for many years on the family homestead, "The Maples," where his death occurred May ii, 1881. He was a farmer all his life. He married, March 1, 1864, Mary Jane Myers, who died July 2, 1904.
Andrew J., son of Andrew Jackson and Mary Jane (Myers) Short, was born in the town of Phelps, Ontario county, New York, May 3, 1870. He was a regular attendant at the public schools of his native township, and then became a student at Canandaigua Academy. In March, 1893 he went to Rochester, New York and entered the employ of the Standard Electric Company, installing an electric fire alarm system in private buildings. In November, 1893 he went to Phelps, New York, and entered the employment of T. Q. Howes' Sons as electrical engineer, remaining with this firm for three and one-half years.
In 1898 he engaged in the manufacture of gasoline engines in association with W. E. Watkins. In 1904 he built the electric light plant at Clifton Springs, New York, and acted as superintendent and manager of this plant for a period of two years. He then received the appointment as chief engineer of the Rome Gas, Electric Light & Power Company at Rome, New York, a position he filled for three and a half years and then resigned and retired to his homestead "The Maples," April i, 1910, to do some extensive repairing, etc. "The Maples" is a fine old homestead with all modern appliances, including a small electric lighting plant run with a gasoline engine.
Since February 1, 1911, Mr. Short has been with the Lima-Honeoye Light & Railroad Company, in the capacity of superintendent.
In 1898 Mr. Short was elected an associate member of the American Institute of Electrical Engineers. He is also a member of Sincerity Lodge, No. 200, Free and Accepted Masons and since 1909 has been a member of Zeba Grotto, No. 4, of Rome, New York.
Mr. Short married, October 9, 1890, Caroline Harriet, a daughter of Charles M. Redfield, of Clifton Springs, and they have one child: Margaret, born November 24, 1909.
Source: Genealogy and Biography of Ontario County, New York