Smith, Charles Scott
The following data is extracted from The Indian Territory, Its Chiefs, Legislators and Leading Men.
This gentleman was born in September 1849, the eldest son of Rev. J. G. Smith, a Baptist minister of Eufaula, and of the Creek tribe of Tuckabatche Town, and a very prominent man among his people. At six years of age Charles commenced attending neighborhood school, and continued until 1862, when he went to Fort Smith to complete his education. But at the outbreak of the war he returned to his father's home, and with others, joined a band of refugees that sought safety on Red River, Chickasaw Nation. Here he remained until 1866. Two years later he went to the Buchanan School, Cane Hill, Arkansas, where he remained four months. When the new Cane Hill college was built young Smith attended during two terms, leaving that institute in 1870, at his father's death, and assuming charge of the family until 1873, when he married Miss Lou Grayson, daughter of Jim Grayson, of Eufaula. By this marriage he had three children, Ada, aged twelve years; Jay, ten years, and Horace Greeley, six years. In 1871 Mr. Smith was elected clerk of the House of Representatives, serving one term. In 1875 he became one of the associate judges of the Supreme Court, holding that honorable position until 1887, when he concluded to resign from judicial and political life. Mr. Smith has 800 acres of farmland, 300 of which is in pasturage. He has also a small stock of cattle, horses and hogs. Mr. Smith is a man of superior judgment, good education, and is very popular. He is about five-eighths Indian, but would pass anywhere for an Anglo-Saxon.
Source: The Indian Territory, Its Chiefs, Legislators and Leading Men