Martin, Ellouisa Winifred
The following data is extracted from Biographies of Pulaski County, Georgia.
Among the names of women who have worked untiringly for the good of Hawkinsville and Pulaski County, the name of Ellouisa Winifred Martin, known to her thousands of-friends as "Miss Lillie," stands foremost. With a sincere desire to express admiration and do honor in a small way to this brilliant, self-sacrificing, beloved woman, this sketch is written."Such souls forever live
She was born August 3, 1871, the daughter of John Henry Martin and Eleanora Wynne Martin, of Liberty County, Georgia, near the historic Midway Church, which settlement her ancestors were instrumental in building.
She had twin brothers, Kibbee and Wynne, born August 7, 1873. Wynne died in infancy; Kibbee, December 25, 1889.
John Henry Martin was a student of Oglethorpe College at the outbreak of the War Between the States, and received leave of absence to enter the service of the Confederate States. As Captain of Company D, Seventeenth Georgia Regiment, he served gallantly until the close of the war, being wounded three times. In 1874, with his family, he moved to Hawkinsville, where he was admitted to the legal bar, and was known as one of the best lawyers of the State. He was elected judge of the Oconee Circuit, which office he held for several terms. He was mayor of Hawkinsville in 1873-74-75.
Eleanora Wynne Martin was a beautiful and accomplished woman.
After her death he married Amittee Curry. She was a noble woman, whose beautiful life influenced for good all with whom she came in contact.
Lillie Martin received her early education in a private school in Hawkinsville, under the supervision of her father, at that time one of the city's leading educators, later graduating with first honor from Agnes Scott College, Decatur, Georgia.
She was considered the most prominent and generally beloved woman of the town and county. Probably no woman in the county's history was as deeply interested in the welfare of those around her as "Miss Lillie." Her life was one of service for others, abounding in deeds of kindness, sympathy and loyalty, not only to her friends, but to all who needed her council, radiating sunshine to all with whom she came in contact.
She was an outstanding woman of the State. For twenty years she was president of the 0. C. Horne Chapter, United Daughters of the Confederacy, which, through her efforts, was known as the banner chapter of the State. For many years she was associated with Miss Mildred Rutherford as State Historian, and in later years was made honorary State president of the Georgia Division, United Daughters of the Confederacy.
It was the interest of the veterans that lay closest to her heart, and she was untiring in her work for them, her interest extending to the Old Soldiers' Home, Atlanta. She was vitally interested in the education of boys and girls, especially those of limited means. She obtained U. D. C. scholarships in various colleges of the State for ambitious students.
Equally interested in civic and club work, she was a member of the D. A. R., and during the World War was a leader in Red Cross and other work for the comfort of the soldiers.
A living example of unselfishness, seeking neither glory nor praise, she was regarded as a power in this community.
Though for four years she was confined to her bed as a hopeless, helpless invalid, her life was that of patience and resignation. Two faithful servants, who served her through life, she retained under her protection until she passed away on August 27, 1931. In early youth she became a member of the Presbyterian Church, a leader in every movement pertaining to the uplift of the community.
In boundless measure o f the love they give." "
Source: Biographies of Pulaski County, Georgia