Gordon of Earlston
The following data is extracted from Gordon Family Records.
The house of Earlston descends from Alexander, 2nd son of
H255 WILLIAM DE GORDOUNE, 6th Lord of Lochinvar, whose great-grandson, H256
H256 JOHN GORDON, of Earlston: d. 1628.
(2) Alexander: 2nd of Earlston, M. P. H257.
(3) William, of Carleton.
(A) James: 2nd Gordon of Carleton; d. unm. 1688.
(4) Robert: d. s. p. et v. p. 1626.
(5) James: col. in the army; d. s. p. 1654.
(6) David, of Gordonstown in Galloway.
H257 Alexander: 2nd Gordon of Earlston; 1587-1653 ; an offer of a Baronetcy was made to him, but declined.
(1) John: younger of Earlston; b. 1613 ; d. v. p. without issue.
(2) William; 3rd Gordon of Earlston H258.
(3) Robert: d., unm., 1654.
(4) Margaret:. m. 1638, Thomas Hay, of Arieland.
H258 WILLIAM: 3rd Gordon of Earlston; b. 1614 ; slain at Bothwell Bridge, 1679 ; s. in his estate by his eldest son, Alexander, afterwards Sir Alexander, 2nd Baronet.
(1) Sir Alexander, of Earlston: 2nd Baronet, H260.
(2) Sir William, of Afton: 1st Baronet, H259.
(3) John Gordon: 3rd Gordon of Carleton.
(4) Margaret: m. 1682, Sir James Holborn, of Menstrie.
H259 SIR WILLIAM: 1st Baronet, of Afton; b. 1654 ; honoured, 1706, with a Scotch baronetcy, with reminder thereof, failing heirs of his own body, to his brother Alexander and heirs of his body; d. 1718, leaving no issue; the title of baronet and his estate of Afton devolved on his brother.
H260 ALEXANDER: 2nd Baronet of Earlston: b. 1650 ; escaped to Holland after battle of Bathwell Bridge and in his absence was declared guilty of treason, and adjudged to suffer death when taken; sometime afterwards captured on board ship and, in 1683, ordered to be beheaded in virtue of the old sentence; execution deferred as there was a wish to put some questions to him, and he was detained a close prisoner in Castle of Edinburgh until 1689, when the Revolution released him.
(1) Sir Thomas: 3rd Baronet H261.
(2) Robert: 1688-1750.
(3) Archibald: collector of excise; 1691-1754.
(A) Margaret: b. 1724 ; d. unm. 1779.
(B) Gilbert, of Halleaths; 1722-1789.
(a) Gilbert: d. unm. 1763.
(b) Archibald, of Halleaths..
1. Gilbert: d. unm. 1845.
2. Archibald: m. and d. 1847. Issue.
3. John: unm.
(C) Johanna: unm.
(D) Patricia: d. 1821. Issue.
(4) Anne: 1670-1761. Issue. (5) Mary: 1681-1723. Issue. (6) Margaret: 1687-1715. Issue. (7) Janet: 1692-1725. Issue.
(8) William, of Culvennan: 1706-1757.
(9) Grizell: , b. 1703 ; m. 1721, Alexander Gordon, 5th of Carleton; d. 1740 , issue, one son and two daus.
H261 SIR THOMAS: 3rd Baronet; 1685-1769 ; contested the county in 1727, with Heron -of Heron, but was defeated by 7 votes.
(1) Thomas: younger of Earlston; b. 1713, d. v. p. in 1767. (A) Thomas: b. 1739 ; d. unm. 1766.
(B) Daniel: b. 1742 ; d. unm. 1762.
(C) Catharine: m. 1770, Major-Gen. Alexander Stewart, of Afton.
(2) Archibald: b. 1715 ; entered the navy in the "Solebay," 28 guns, was made prisoner; d. unm. v. p. at Brest, 1745.
(3) Sir John: 4th Baronet, H262.
(4) Francis: b. 1728 ; entered the 60th Foot; was twice made prisoner, being the last time massacred in cold blood 1763 ; unm.
(5) James, of Jamaica: d. 1794.
(6) Anna: m. 1735, Alexander Copland, of Colliston, and had issue.
H262 SIR JOHN: 4th Baronet; Capt.. 70th Foot; b. 1720 ; d. 1795 s. p.; succeeded by his nephew.
H263 SIR JOHN: 5th Baronet; 1780-1843 ; succeeded to estate of Carleton on the death of John, Gordon 8th of Carleton (who d. without male issue).
(1) John: younger, of Earlston; b. 1826 ; d. v. p. 1842. (2) Sir William: 6th Baronet, H264.
(3) James Irving: 1838-1862.
(4) Jane: d. unm. 1908.
(5) Mary Christian: d. 1887. Issue. (6) Julia: m. 1872, Herbert James. (7) Elizabeth Cust: d. unm. 1852. (8) John Anne: m. 1861, Stevenson Forbes. Issue, one dau.
H265 SIR WILLIAM: 6th Baronet; served in the Crimea and India; b. 1830 ; m. (2ndly) Mary Grace (dau. of Sir William Maxwell, 3rd Baronet); d. s. p. 1906 ; succeeded by his cousin.
H266 SIR CHARLES EDWARD: 7th Baronet; 1835-1911.
(1) John Archibald: b. 1860 ; d. unm. 1876.
(2) Sir Robert Charles: 8th and present Baronet, H267.
(3) Caroline Isabella.
(4) Amy Lucie.
H267 SIR ROBERT CHARLES: 8th Baronet, of Earlston, co. Kirkcudbright; b. 1862,; s. his father 1911.
(1) John Charles: b. 1901.
Source: Gordon Family Records