The following data is extracted from A history of the town of Sullivan, New Hampshire, 1777-1917.
I. John1 Winchester, at the age of 19, embarked in the ship Elizabeth from England, in 1635, and settled in Hingham, Mass.; admitted freeman in 1637. He m. Oct. 15, 1638, Hannah Sealis, dau. of Dea. Richard Sealis of Scituate. In 1650 he removed to Muddy River (now Brookline, Mass.), where he d. Apr. 25, 1694. His widow d. Sept. 18, 1697.
II. John2 Winchester, son of John1, I, was bapt. at Hingham, June 2, 1644. He lived at Muddy River, and the records name a wife Hannah, and subsequently a wife, Joanna. He d. Feb. 1, 1717-8.
III. Henry3 Winchester, son of John2, II, was the sixth of ten ch., and m. Oct. 5, 1705, Frances White. They lived in Brookline.
IV. Rev. Jonathan4, son of Henry3, III, was the first minister of Ashburnham, Mass. He was b. Brookline, Apr. 21, 1717; d. Ashburnham, Nov. 26, 1767. He m. May 5, 1748, Sarah Crofts.
V. Jonathan5, Winchester, son of Rev. Jonathan4, IV, b. at Brookline, Mass., July 31, 1755; d. Ashburnham, Mass., Jan. 16, 1837; m. Feb. 3, 1783, Persis Whitmore, b. Leominster, Mass., Mar. 3, 1755; dau. of Joseph and Mary (Marvin) Whitmore. She d. at Ashburnham, July 17, 1837, six months after her husband.
- Samuel6 Winchester, 1, of Sullivan, son of Jonathan5, V, was b. at Ashburnham, Sept. 13, 1785, was a farmer and lived in S., where all his ch. were b.; he d. Oct. 20, 1865; m. (1), May 7, 1813, Sally Foster, b. Marlborough (now Roxbury); d. S., Feb. 12, 1814. According to the Keene Sentinel, "Mrs. Sally Winchester was taken with a pain in her head on Friday, Feb. 11. It increased with great violence until she expired Saturday evening, Feb. 12, (1814), just at midnight." She was dau. of Enoch and Rebecca (French) Foster of Roxbury. He m. (2), Dec. 1, 1814, Chloe Faulkner Boynton, b. Sturbridge, Mass., Oct. 7, 1790; d. S., Dec. 11, 1830; dau. of David E. and Bethiah (Morris) Boynton. He m. (3), Sept. 6, 1831, Eusebia Eames, b. Swanzey, Mar. 18, 1800; d. S., June 12, 1880; dau. of Jotham and Eusebia (Goddard) Eames of Swanzey. Ch.:
- Sally Foster7, b. Jan. 14, 1814, m. Dec. 6, 1831, John Thompson, b. Gilsum, Mar. 18, 1804, d. Dec. 6, 1840; son of Benjamin and Anna (Tubbs) Thompson. He was a farmer in Gilsum, and his death was caused by an injury which he received, while putting up his cattle in the evening. He came into the house and died suddenly. Ch. b. Gilsum:
- 1. Emily F.8 Thompson, b. July 11, 1834; m. Nov. 29, 1855, Francis Charles Minor, b. Chanbly, P. Q., June 12, 1832, son of Joseph and Margaret (Abert) Minor; res. Northfield, Vt.; three ch.:
- Frank Leslie9 Minor, b. Keene, May 7, 1857; d. Gilsum, Feb. 23, 1880; m. Oct. 16, 1877, Irene Mahala Polley, b. Butler, Ill., July 28, 1855, dau. of Jacob Jr. and Marietta (Emerson) Polley.
- Elmer Ellsworth9 Polley, b. Northfield, Vt., July 2, 1861.
- Charles Clifton9, b. Northfield, Vt., Nov. 22, 1864, drowned in Gilsum, July 27, 1869.
- Lydia A.8 Thompson, b. Apr. 6, 1836; m. (1), June 4, 1856, George William Tubbs, b. Northfield, Vt., 1841; d. Keene, Feb. 5, 1871; son of William and Eunice (Carpenter) Tubbs; she m. (2), Frank Russell Boyce (q. v.) By her first m. she had a pair of twins:
- May Etta Estella9 Tubbs, b. Feb. 14, 1858; m. Dec. 23, 1878, George R. Keyes and res. Acton, Mass.
- Ida9 Tubbs, b. Gilsum, Feb. 14, 1858; d. Mar. 1, 1858.
- Simon Edwin8 Thompson, b. Gilsum, Feb. 6, 1838; d. in Athol, Mass., Feb. 1, 1868; m. Nov. 21, 1862, Fanny S. Forester, b. Orange, Mass., May 4, 1843; dau. of Nathaniel C. and Frances (Goddard) Forester, (she m. (2), Jan. 5, 1876, Abner S. Stratton). Simon Edwin had a son:
- Loren S.9 Thompson, b. Orange, Mass., Oct. 28, 1863.
- Jane Augusta8 Thompson, b. Gilsum, Apr. 2, 1840; d. unm. in Northfield, Vt., Feb. 18. 1859.
- Enoch Whittemore7, b. Apr. 28, 1816, m. (1), Dec. 3, 1841, Mary E. Betts, who d. Keene, May 22, 1845, aged 21. He m. (2), in Keene, by Dr. Barstow, Mar. 2, 1846, Martha Abigail Kingsbury, b. Keene, Aug. 12, 1820; dau. of Abijah and Abigail (Wilder) Kingsbury. Ch. b. in Keene:
- Julia Amaryllis8, b. Oct. 22, 1843; d. there, Aug. 23, 1848.
- Charles Henry8, b. May 14, 1845; is married has ch. and res. Grand Rapids, Mich.
- Emery7, b. Apr. 28, 1816; d. Dec. 12, 1816.
- Mary Morris7, b. Nov. 22, 1817; m. Charles C. Comstock (q. v.)
- Harriet Eliza7, b. July 2, 1819, m. May 4, 1842, Jacob Staples, b. Westmoreland, June 10, 1818, d. Keene, Feb. 28, 1895; son of Perkins and Mary (Prouty) Staples. They res. in Westmoreland, Bellows Falls, Vt., and Keene. Mr. Staples was a carpenter. She d. Keene, Sept. 20, 1901. Ch.:
- Henry Marshall8 Staples, b. Westmoreland, Feb. 23, 1843, killed on a locomotive in Keene, Oct. 21, 1876; m. June 2, 1868, Rosetta Maranda Hart, b. Keene, Aug. 23, 1846, dau. of Nehemiah and Maranda R. (Miller) Hart of Keene. Res. Keene, three ch. b. Keene:
- George Frank9 Staples, b. June 13, 1869, d. there, May 18, 1871.
- Irving Winchester9 Staples, b. Mar. 6, 1871.
- Don Henry9 Staples, b. Mar. 23, 1876, m. Nov. 23, 1898, Alice Mabel Reed of Keene.
- Frank Albert8 Staples, b. Westmoreland, Nov. 26, 1845; d. Keene, July 23, 1871, unm.
- Mary Ella8 Staples, b. Keene, Aug. 18, 1848; d. there, Jan. 6, 1849.
- Charles Jacob8 Staples, b. Bellows Falls, Vt., May 15, 1854, d. in Grand Rapids, Mich., Apr. 10, 1895; m. May 1, 1880, Margaret Lucella Cudney, b. Kentor (?), near London, Ontario, July 11, 1861; dau. of James and Margaret Ann (Chestnut) Cudney. No children.
- Persis Augusta7, b. Dec. 1, 1821, d. Oct. 6, 1822.
- Samuel Alexander7, b. May 24, 1823, m. (1), Apr. 1, 1847, Mary Elizabeth Gibbs, b. Framingham, Mass., d. 1848, dau. of Matthew Gibbs. He m. (2), May, 1851, Rebecca Bailey, b. Swanzey, May 19, 1827, d. at Grand Rapids, Mich., July 21, 1877. He m. (3), Oct. 26, 1881, Martha (Gibbs) Bailey.
- Alpheus Boynton7, b. Mar. 19, 1825, died in Clinton, Wis., Nov. 10, 1875. We know nothing further of his family.
- William Warren7, b. Sept. 4, 1827; res. Saratoga Springs, N. Y., m. twice and had several ch.
- Augusta Chloe7, b. Oct. 17, 1830, d. Keene, Feb. 15, 1851.
- Elliot Caleb7, b. Oct. 2, 1832, res. Sullivan, but d. in Grand Rapids, Mich.; m. Mar. 18, 1857, Eliza Ann Rawson, b. S., Jan. 19, 1836, dau. of Chauncy W. and Eliza (Bolster) Rawson of Sullivan, Seven ch. b. Sullivan.:
- Elsie Eliza8, b. Oct. 6, 1858, m. Oct. 31, 1883, Blondin Milan Towne, b. in Stoddard, Aug. 19, 1859; son of Harvey and Sarah Osgood (Seward) Towne. Divorced. She m. (2), in Grand Rapids, Mich., Sept. 24, 1895, Charles Henry Richardson, b. Feb. 28, 1838, in Raisin Township, Lenawee, Co., Mich., son of Charles and Eliza Jane (Densmore) Richardson. He is a farmer and carpenter at Hart, Mich. She had no ch. by either husband.
- George Elliot8, b. Oct. 3, 1859, d. Aug. 4, 1862.
- Hattie Eusebia8, b. Apr. 28, 1861; m. George W. Comstock (q. v.)
- Elmer Ellsworth8, b. Oct. 16, 1862; d. Mar. 1863.
- Clara Maria8, b. July 16, 1864; m. Frank E. Comstock (q. v.)
- Julia Ann8, b. Mar. 18, 1866, m. Feb. 17, 1891, at Grand Rapids, Mich., Richard Morgan McRae; b. Lawville, N. Y.; son of William and Mary (Kern) McRae. He is a grocer at Grand Rapids, Mich. Ch.:
- Rosabella Anna9 McRae, b. Jan. 17, 1892.
- Florence9 McRae, b. Jan. 19, 1893; d. Grand Rapids, Mar. 27, 1894.
- Marie Elizabeth9 McRae, b. Jan. 5, 1895.
- Alta Irena9 McRae, b. Jan. 26, 1897.
- Charles Elliot8, b. July 3, 1870, was a carpenter and contractor in Port Huron, Mich.; m. June 30, 1897, Mary Elizabeth Traviss, b. Bradford, Ontario, Jan. 16, 1872; dau. of George A. and Phoebe (Nichols) Traviss. They have a dau., Alta Mae.
Source: A history of the town of Sullivan, New Hampshire, 1777-1917