Fryeburg Horse Railroad
The following data is extracted from Town History of Fryeburg, Maine.
This company was chartered in March 1887, for the purpose of establishing and maintaining a horse railroad in the village and to run to the Chautauqua grounds. It was at once organized and $5075 capital stock issued, which was taken by thirty stockholders. The road was installed and equipped that season, opened July 25, but did not run regularly until the following year. This road has remained under the general management of Seth W . Fife, and has been in operation each year since it begun. A total of 12,000 persons are sometimes carried annually during the running season, from June to October. Three miles of road are laid. This is the only horse railroad in the state.
Four years ago this road was sold to the White Mountain Paper Co. who sold to the Pater Publishing Co. three years later. A charter granted by the last legislature provides for the extension of this road to Stow and Lovell, and it is probable that one or both of these places will soon be reached by a new line of road to be operated by horses or electricity. The plan for a road to Lovell was contemplated by the original promoters, but was not executed before disposing of the property.
Source: Town History of Fryeburg, Maine