Fryeburg Water Works
The following data is extracted from Town History of Fryeburg, Maine.
In 1882, the Fryeburg Water Co. was organized by local citizens under the direction of Dr. D. Lamson Lowell, for the purpose of installing a system for supplying pure water from Green Hill mountain in Conway. There a series of boiling springs was dammed back, forming a reservoir covering about an acre less than three miles from the village. A system of 10, 8, and 6 inch pipe conducts the water to the village, 156 feet below, the pipe passing under the Saco 300 feet below Weston's bridge. A natural force of 65 pounds is produced giving ample fire protection and a clear, pure water supply for family use. H. B. Cotton is president of the company; A. R. Jenness, Sec., Treas., and Supt.
Source: Town History of Fryeburg, Maine