Baker of Dunstable
The following data is extracted from Baker Family Records.
This family of Bakers is ancient and much respected in the West of England, where it has been seated for many hundred years. It is believed that this family and that of Baker of Loventor, Devon, are branches of the same parent stem.
F144 JAMES BAKER: Buckland House, near Taunton, Somerset; lord of the
manors of Cogload and Sampford-Arundel, Somerset and of Nicholas Hayne and
Hale, in the parish of Culmstock, Devon.
(1) Christopher: High Sheriff of Somerset, 1724.
(2) James: d. w. i., 1747.
(3) George: Brockenhurst House; Hants; Barrister-at-Law; bencher of the
honourable society of the inner temple; m. 1728; d. w. i., 1770.
(4) John: heir, F145.
F145 JOHN BAKER: m. co-heiress of Robert Wood, brother of Thomas Wood, of Littleton, Middlesex and of Middleham Castle, York; issue,
(1) George: Fellow Commoner of King's College, Cambridge; distinguished for
classical knowledge; d. w. i., 1772.
(2) John: Capt. of Coldstream Guards; m.; d. 1794.
(A) John Robert.
(B) Two daus.
(3) Robert (Sir): First Bart., F146.
F146 SIR ROBERT BAKER: 1st Bart. of Dunstable House, Surrey, and of Nicholas Hayne, Devon; bart. created May 14, 1796; m. 1783; b. 1757; d. 1826; had, besides three daus.,
(1) Robert: b. 1785; d. 1802.
(2) Henry Loraine (Sir) : 2nd bart., F147.
(3) George Augustus (Rev.) : Rector of Ibstone-Cum-Fingest near Henley on
Thames; b. 1788; m. 1812.
(A) Henry Sherston: b. 1814; barrister-at-law; m. 1842; issue,
(a) George Sherston (Sir): 4th Bart., F149.
(b) Rob't Henry Sherston: b. 1848; d. s. p., 1904.
(c) John Chichely Sherston: b. 1850; m. 1884.
1. Henry Chichely Dancer Sherston: b. 1893.
2. Winifred Violet Sherston.
(4) Onslow: b. 1795; Col. Beng. art.
F147 SIR HENRY LORAINE BAKER: 2nd Bart.; b. 1787; m. 1820; a viceadmiral R. N., C. B.; entered navy in 1797 and served with distinction; had, besides five daughters,
F148 SIR HENRY WILLIAM BAKER: 3rd Bart.; b. 1821; d. unm., 1877; succeeded by great-grandson of 1st Bart.
F149 SIR GEORGE SHERSTON BAKER [F146-(3)-(A)-(a)]: 4th Bart.; b. 1846; J. P. Lincolnshire, Lincoln, Great Grimsley, Boston, Barnstaple, Bideford; Revising Barrister for Cornwall, 1898-1901; County Court Judge; Editor of "Law Magazine," 1895-98; m. (1) 1873; issue.
(1) Dodington George Richard Sherston (Sir): 5th and present Bart., F150.
(2) John Dunstan Sherston: b. 1882; solicitor of the High Court of England, 1907;
Attorney in the High Court, Bombay, 1911; m. 1911.
(A) Peter Sherston: b. 1918.
(B) Loraine Josephine.
(3) Michael Frederick Sherston (Rev.): b. 1884; d. 1905; in minor orders of Rom. Cath. Church.
(4) Mary Louisa Sherston: m. 1898; d. 1911, leaving issue.
(5) Henrietta Catherine Sherston: m. 1904; issue.
(6) Emily Margaret Sherston: m. 1910; issue.
(7) Georgianna Jane Sherston: m. 1912.
F150 SIR DODINGTON GEORGE RICHARD SHERSTON SHERSTON-BAKER: b. 1887; s. his father 1923; assumed additional surname of Sherston by deed poll in 1923; Lieut-Col. Indian Medical Service; L. R. C. P.; M. R. C. S.; m. 1906.
(1) Humphrey Dodington Benedict Sherston: b. 1907.
(2) Irene Magdalene Mary.
Source: Baker Family Records