Chapman, Joseph Dr.
The following data is extracted from History of the Town of Cornish, Sullivan County, New Hampshire.
DR. JOSEPH5 CHAPMAN (Benjamin4, Samuel,3-2, Edward1) was the oldest child of Capt. Benjamin and Jemima (Gates) Chapman and was b. Dec. 12, 1757; m. in 1782, Martha Jirauld of Cornish, dau. of Dea. Reuben and Joanna (Spaulding) Jirauld, b. Aug. 2, 1759, and d. March 15, 1855, aged 95. He settled on the farm afterwards owned and occupied by Rev. D. P. Deming and more recently by Fred Read. He was a physician and is said to have been one of the first of his profession in town. He d. April 3, 1810, aged 53. Children, all b. in town:
1. JOSEPH, JR., b. Sept. 19, 1783; m. and lived in Irasburg, Vt. He d. in 1856.
2. BENJAMIN, b. July 18, 1784.
3. JAMES, b. Sept. 5, 1786. He d. Dec. 1, 1820.
4. SALLY, b. July 14, 1789; m. March 12, 1813, Israel Chase of Cornish. Three children. (See Chase.) She d. Sept. 12, 1881, aged 92.
5. BETSEY, b. June 28, 1791; m. Sept. 30, 1810, Septimus Read, "a farmer in Cornish." Six children. (See Read.) She d. July 21, 1874.
6. BELA, b. July 19, 1793; m. a French and Indian girl and lived in Mackinaw, Mich., and had several children.
7. LEVI, b. Sept. 11, 1795.
8. JOHN, b. July 19, 1797; m. July 22, 1820, Eliza Kissock, dau. of Dr. Kissock. Seven children, six sons and one daughter. He was a physician and practiced in Round Brook, N. J. He d. in 1876.
9. HARRY, b. July 27, 1800.
10. REUBEN L, b. Dec. 11, 1803. A physician. Lived in Pictou, Can. Two children:
Source: History of the Town of Cornish, Sullivan County, New Hampshire