The following data is extracted from History of the Town of Cornish, Sullivan County, New Hampshire.
In 1672 Nathaniel1 and Mary Carroll were residents of Norfolk Co., Mass. Their son, Nathaniel2, had a son, Samuel3, who had a son, Joseph4, b. in Sutton, Mass., in 1732, who m. Nov. 21, 1761, Judith Chase of Sutton, a dau. of Philip and Mary (Follansbe) Chase. Nine children. Josephs, their eldest son, b. Dec. 10, 1763, m. April 6, 1788, Mary Prince, b. Aug. 7, 1763. They came to Croydon in 1792 and settled in Ryder Corner district. Six children. Joseph5 d. March 18, 1845; Mary d. July 10, 1822. Their second son, John Princes Carroll, was b. in Croydon Sept. 2, 1793; m. first, Nov. 20, 1817, Rachel Powers, dau. of Ezekiel Powers, b. Feb. 27, 1797, and d. May 6, 1839, in Croydon. About the year 1840 he rem. with his family to Cornish and spent the remainder of his life there. Was a stirring, energetic man; a cooper, also a farmer. Nine children, all b. in Croydon, but all of them lived for a time in Cornish. He m. second, -, Hannah Spaulding of Cornish, dau. of Daniel and Hannah Spaulding. No children. He d. June 15, 1867. After his death his wid. m. Sept. 22, 1868, Moses Hutchinson of Cornish, who d. Sept. 11, 1889. She d. Oct. 27, 1889. Children, all by first wife:
1. SUSAN, b. Dec. 27, 1818; m. Feb. 16, 1836, James B. Wakefield. She d. in 1843 in Sempronius, N. Y.
2. SOPHRONIA, b. Oct. 27, 1820; m. Jan. 29, 1840, George Stockwell. She d. Jan. 11, 1894.
3. ELIZA, b. Jan. 12, 1823; m. Sept. 7, 1842, Moody Hook, of Cornish. Five children. (See Hook.) She d. Nov. 30, 1884.
4. SALANIA, b. July 24, 1824; m. Converse Gage. Res., Sutton. Two children. She d. Oct. 28, 1893.
5. ALONZO C., b. Nov. 24, 1826. After completing his education, he went into the stove business till 1869; then he settled in Warner and was a successful merchant the rest of his life. He d. there April 19, 1894. Two children:
A. Clarence F.
B. Edward Herman.
6. ELEANOR JANE, b. July 19, 1829; m. Feb. 25, 1849, Charles O. East man of Claremont. Shed. June 2, 1899. Mr. Eastman d. Oct. 4, 1893. Always res. in Claremont.
7. AMANDA M., b. Aug. 6, 1832; m. Jan. 24, 1856, John G. Brockway. Lived in Hopkinton. Two children:
8. LYSANDER HERBERT, b. Oct. 8, 1835.
9. RACHEL, b. in 1838, and d. in 1839.
Source: History of the Town of Cornish, Sullivan County, New Hampshire