Lebrecht, John C. M. D.
The following data is extracted from Centennial History of Missouri.
Lebrecht, John C. M. D.
Dr. John C. Lebrecht, a St. Louis physician with offices in the Park building, was born July 28, 1859, in the city which is still his home, his parents being John and Louisa J. (Ludwig) Lebrecht. The father was a graduate of the St. Louis Medical College and was associated with Professor Charles Pope, who founded the first O'Fallon dispensary, located at Seventh and Clark avenue in St. Louis. During the Civil war he served on the Union side from Missouri as a surgeon, being on duty throughout the period of hostilities. He survived his military experience for only a brief time, passing away December 4, 1865. In the maternal line Dr. Lebrecht also comes from ancestry connected with the medical profession. Among his mother's people was Dr. Valentine Ludwig, a leading practitioner in St. Louis in 1840. Her brother, Charles V. F. Ludwig, served as a surgeon from Missouri in the Civil war and in days of peace devoted his attention to the practice of medicine. The marriage of Mr. and Mrs. John Lebrecht was celebrated in St. Louis and they became the parents of but two children, the younger being a daughter who died in infancy.
Dr. John C. Lebrecht of this review, the only son, was educated in private schools of St. Louis and in the St. Louis University, pursuing a classical course through six years and then taking up the study of medicine. He was graduated from the Washington University Medical College in 1882 with the M. D. degree and afterward served as an interne in the St. Louis City Hospital. From 1883 to the present time he has been a successful general practitioner, specializing to some extent on diseases of women and children. His office is now located in the Park building and his practice is extensive and of an important character. During the World war he made application to serve and was placed on the reserve list.
Dr. Lebrecht is married and has four children, two sons and two daughters: Josephine L., living at home with her father; Louise Janette who was married May 11, 1921, to Alphonse H. Auler, son of Dr. Hugo H. Auler, deceased; Charles P., who died at the age of four years; and John, who died at the age of six and a half years.
During the World war Dr. Lebrecht subscribed liberally to all war activities and has always been a progressive and public-spirited citizen. He belongs to Keystone Lodge, No. 243, A. F. & A. M.; to Bellefontaine Chapter, No. 25, R. A. M.; Ascalon Commandery, No. 16, K. T.; and Moolah Temple of the Mystic Shrine. He is also identified with the Knights of Pythias and his political allegiance is given to the republican party. He has ever been a close student of his profession and along strictly professional lines his membership connections are with the St. Louis Medical Society, the Missouri State Medical Association and the American Medical Association.
Source: Centennial History of Missouri