The following data is extracted from Centennial History of Missouri.
A native of St. Louis, born January 21, 1845, son of Emil and Eleanore Didier (Luckie) Mallinckrodt. He received his early education in public and private schools followed by four years of training in scientific and practical chemistry in Germany. On his return in September, 1867, he formed a partnership with an older and a younger brother under the firm name of G. Mallinckrodt & Company, and started the manufacture of medicinal chemicals in a very small way. From this small beginning the business has grown to be one of the largest in its line in the world. In addition to the main works in St. Louis, the company maintains works in Jersey City, New Jersey, and branch offices and warehouses in New York. The company manufactures about a thousand different chemicals for medicinal, photographic, analytical and technical purposes. Its trade extends to every large city in this country and large exportations are also made to Cuba, Mexico, South America and other foreign countries.
In 1882, after the death of both brothers, Edward Mallinckrodt incorporated the business as the Mallinckrodt Chemical Works and as its president has continued to direct its affairs. Mr. Mallinckrodt, however, has not confined his activities to the Mallinckrodt Chemical Works. In 1889 he incorporated The National Ammonia Company with works at St. Louis and subsidiary companies operating works at Philadelphia, Detroit, Seattle, Toronto, Canada, and Sydney, New South Wales, of all of which he is president. In 1913 the Mallinckrodt Chemical Works, Ltd., incorporated under Canadian laws, was established at Montreal, to conduct the business in the provinces of British North America.
Mr. Mallinckrodt became interested in educational work while a young man. As a director of the Washington University he has been particularly interested in the Medical School, making large endowments for its work. He is president of the board of directors of St. Luke's Hospital, in the management of which institution he has been actively engaged for many years. He has also given substantial aid to the St. Louis Provident Association, St. Louis Children's Hospital and many other benevolent and charitable agencies. He served as president and during several terms as trustee of the St. Louis College of Pharmacy; is a life member of the American Pharmaceutical Association and of the Missouri Pharmaceutical Association; a member of the Association for the Advancement of Science, American Chemical Society, American Institute of Chemical Engineers, Society of Chemical Industry of Great Britain, Deutscher Chemiker Verein of Berlin and St. Louis Academy of Science. He is vice president of the board of control of the St. Louis City Art Museum, director and much interested in the Missouri Botanical Garden, a director in the St. Louis Union Trust Company, First National Bank of St. Louis, Laclede Gas Light Company, a trustee of the Mercantile Library and interested as a director and stockholder in enterprises in New York and other cities.
In June, 1876, Mr. Mallinckrodt was married in St. Louis to Miss Jennie Anderson, a daughter of Charles R. Anderson. His son, Edward, Jr., holds the position of vice president of the Mallinckrodt Chemical Works and has proved himself a most capable chemist and business man.
Politically Mr. Mallinckrodt is a republican, but an independent voter in municipal elections. He is a member of the Commercial Club, the Round Table, St. Louis Club, University Club, Noonday Club, St. Louis Country Club and Bogey Club. A self made man, successful in many walks of life, he has maintained an ever broadening human interest and a ready sympathy in the welfare of his fellow citizens which has earned for him their lasting respect and confidence.
Source: Centennial History of Missouri