Washington Blockhouses or Stockades erected during Indian War
The following data is extracted from Bancroft Works, Volume 31, History Of Washington, Idaho, and Montana, 1845-1889, Hubert H. Bancroft, 1890. The History Company, Publishers, San Francisco..
There were 22 block-houses or stockades erected by the settlers during the war, as follows:
Henness, near Mound prairie, on Tenalcut prairie, at Nathan Eaton's,
two on Chambers' prairie,
one at Bush's,
two at Tumwater,
one at Dofflemeyer's,
one on Whidbey Is1.,
one at Port Gamble,
one on the Cowlitz (Fort Arkansas),
one on Mime prairie,
one at Port Ludlow,
one at Meigs' Mill,
two at the Cascades,
one at Boisford prairie.
Rept of W. W. De Lacy, Capt. Eng. W. T. V., in Wash. Mess. Gov., 1857, 55.
Others were subsequently erected by the volunteers and troops, to the number of 35 by the former and 4 by the latter, or 62 in all.
One at Cowlitz landing,
French settlement near Cowlitz farm,
Chehalis River, below the Skookum Chuck,
Tenalcut plain (Fort Miller),
Yelm prairie (Fort Stevens),
Lowe's, on Chambers' prairie,
two at Olympia,
one at Packwood's ferry (Fort Raglan),
two at Montgomery's crossing of the Puyallup (Fort White),
two at Connell's prairie, two at crossing of White River,
South prairie (Fort McAllister), on the Dwamish (Fort Lander),
Lone Tree point, on the Snohomish (Fort Ebey),
on the Snoqualimich below the falls (Fort Tilton),
on the Snoqualimich above the falls (Fort Alden),
Fourth prairie (near Vancouver),
Walla Walla (Fort Mason),
Michel's fork of Nisqually (Fort Preston),
Klikitat prairie, near Cowlitz.
The regular companies built Fort Slaughter, on Muckleshoot prairie; Fort Maloney, on Puyallup river; Fort Thomas, on Green River; and a block-house on Black River, Idaho.
Source: Bancroft Works, Volume 31, History Of Washington, Idaho, and Montana, 1845-1889, Hubert H. Bancroft, 1890. The History Company, Publishers, San Francisco.