Jeffers, Emmor W.
The following data is extracted from Historical and Biographical Record of Douglas County, Illinois.
Emmor W. Jeffers, the present circuit clerk of Douglas County, who has occupied that office since February . 3, 1899, was horn in Pike County, Illinois, November 19, 1861.
He is a son of John C. and Elizabeth (Mc-Kinney) Jeffers, both natives of Ohio, who re-moved to Douglas County and settled in Camargo Township about 1864. His mother died in December, 1893, while his father resides in Bloomington, Illinois. (For further ancestry of the Jeffers family see sketch of George C. Jeffers, of Camargo). James McKinney, our subject's maternal grandfather, was a native of Ohio.
In 1889 E. W. Jeffers was married to Miss Carrie F. Hill, a daughter of Thomas \V. and Rebecca (Underwood)Hill, and as a result of this union they have two children: Villa and Beulah.
Since 1890 Mr. Jeffers has been secretary and keeper of records and seal of the Knights of Pythias lodge of Tuscola, and is also prominent in several other fraternal orders. He was nominated without opposition at the Republican primaries held March 24, 1900, for the same office he now occupies.
The Tuscola Journal of March 11, 1899, says of Mr. Jeffers: "In selecting Emmor W. Jeffers as their candidate for the office of circuit clerk the Republican representatives in convention have voiced the sentiment of the people. Mr. Jeffers is of that class of young Re-publicans who are enthusiastic in their sup-port of their party, and while in the office with the late Major Daniel A. Conover as deputy, he became thoroughly familiar with every detail of the work and is in every way particularly qualified to fill the position with credit to himself and party besides giving the people entire satisfaction.
"He is a native of this grand state, having been born in Pike County on the 19th day of November. 1861, and about 1864 he came to this County with his parents and was employed on his father's farm until he reached his majority when he started out for him-self, working by the month for two years for Nicholas Cooley, after which he secured a business education, attending nights at the Terre Haute Business College. He graduated from that institution and went to Bloomington, Illinois, where he secured a good position m a grocery store where he was employed nearly two years, when he came to Tuscola and accepted a similar position with Joseph J. Knox, formerly of this city, who was succeeded by F. M. Wardall & Co. He remained with this firm until he opened up a grocery business in company with J. F. Kerker in the building on Sale Street, now occupied by T. J. McKee. On account of failing health he was compelled to give tip the store and enter the real estate business, which he followed with success until January 1, 1897, when he was appointed deputy circuit clerk by the late Major Daniel A. Conover, which position he filled with credit and honor.
"Upon the death of Mr. Conover he was appointed protempore circuit clerk by the judges of this district, and he will certainly be elected to succeed himself, and fill out the unexpired term of the late lamented Major Conover."
Source: Historical and Biographical Record of Douglas County, Illinois