T.H. Conniff, Jr., attorney at law and justice of the peace, is a son of T.H. Conniff, of Houston, Minn., who has represented that state in the legislature, and was district attorney for several years. The subject of this sketch settled in Sioux City in 1869, is a graduate of the State University, and was
John Hittle, retail grocer-corner 4th and Douglas Sts.-established business in 1873. He was born in Ohio in 1835; moved to Ind., and in 1855 removed to Des Moines, Iowa He came to Sioux City in 1856, and in the fall of that year went to Sioux Falls, where he built a cabin for a Dubuque
Geo. Maurer, manufacturer of cigars and dealer in pipes and all smoking materials 4th Sts. was born in Austria in 1838; come to America in 1865, and settled in Cincinnati, O.; in the spring of 1869 he came to this city, where in 1873 he established the above business. While in Austria he served in
A.L. Bennetts, proprietor of the New York Fruit Store-established business in 1879-was born in N.Y., in 1826; came west to Wis. in 1848, and, after traveling about, finally located at Forth Winnebago. He afterwards moved to Minnesota; from there to Saginaw, Mich.; thence to O.; then back to Mich.; from there to Chicago, and then
M.A. Comeau, carpenter and joiner, -shop opposite High School building-was born in the Province of Quebec, Canada; came to the U.S., and settled in Mass., in 1863. He removed to this place in 1879, and engaged in his present business. He married Mary Gelines, of Canada. They have four children-Malvinas, Edwin, Emma and Charles.
William Lerch, proprietor of billiard hall, was born in Germany in 1841; came to America in 1864. He has built several of the business blocks in this city, and engaged in his present business in 1870.
Hon. Wm. L. Joy, president of the Sioux national bank of Sioux City, and member of the law firm of Joy & Wright, was born in Townshend, Winham County, Vt.; came to this city in 1855, and engaged in the practice of his profession with N.E. Hudson; he entered the present partnership in 1868. Mr.
E. Morley, bookkeeper in Sanborn & Follett’s lumber office, was born in Chenango County, N.Y., in 1835; was engaged in various pursuits until 1867, when he came to this city and engaged as bookkeeper.
P.P. Gibbs, proprietor of the St. Elmo Hotel, between 5th and 6th streets, was born in Pittsfield, Vt., in 1821; moved thence to Brandon, where he served eighteen years as magistrate, and held many municipal and other offices of public trust. He was married in 1873 to Adeliza Sargent, of Pittsford, Vt., and has one
A.C. Larson, proprietor of the Oriental Steam laundry-corner of Pearl and 3rd Sts., was born in Denmark in 1857; came to America in 1870, and settled in Iowa; came to this city in 1880. He married Lydia Oleson.