Discover your family's story.

Enter a grandparent's name to get started.

Start Now

The Brickey Family of Prairie du Rocher Illinois

Two years prior to Missouri’s admission into the Union, October 16, 1819, Franklin W. Brickey saw the light of day in Potosi, Missouri. He attended the public schools and at the age of 19 he came to Illinois. In 1838 he started in business at Fort Chartres, supplying steam-boats with wood and general merchandise. Enterprising and with great foresight he became interested in the Red Bud Mill. In 1858 he erected the present mill at Prairie du Rocher, and at that time his property in Fort Chartres had been swept away by high water. He afterwards started the general merchandise store in Prairie du Rocher. At the solicitation of Mr. Brickey, Abe Lee, a companion became his partner and remained so until 1867, when he sold his interest to Mr. Brickey, who operated the mill until his death, December 12, 1892, when his son, F. M. Brickey, succeeded in business. Mr. Brickey twice married. His first wife was Emily Connor. His second wife was Sarah J. Brightwell. The Brickey family consisted of three sons – J. C. Brickey, F. M. Brickey and Thomas C. Brickey, and one daughter, Belle Brickey. F. M. Brickey F. M. Brickey, the well-known capitalist, was born November 10, 1860, in Prairie du Rocher, Illinois. He attended the public schools, then went to St. Louis in 1873 and entered the St. Louis University, until 1878, and later was a student in the Jesuit College. He began business in 1881. After leaving school he learned the trade of miller. By industry and diligence he steadily advanced, became assistant miller and then head miller. He became so...

Early Migration to Fort de Chartres

The history of Prairie du Rocher is richly mingled with the early history of Fort de Chartres and the Catholic Church. To gain an insight to pre-settlement days one must turn back the calendar to the year 1682, when La Salle beached an expedition at the mouth of the Mississippi for King Louis XIV of France. La Salle secured the fleur de lis, and claimed the territory on the Illinois and Mississippi sides of the river for France. Later, La Salle interested the king in building a series of forts linking the French colonial territories in Canada and Louisiana. Originally, the Illinois Country was under the jurisdiction of the Canadian province of Quebec, but in 1717 it was transferred as a district to the province of Louisiana. The first commandant of the Illinois Territory was Pierre Duque Boisbriant who arrived in December of 1718 with orders to govern the country and erect in the Mississippi a bastion to forestall possible aggressions of the English and Spanish as well as to protect the settlers from hostile Indians, With alacrity he started to build the most pretentious in the chain of forts along the Mississippi, Fort Due de Chartres – named in honor of the regent of France. This palisaded log fortification, completed in 1720 and located on the river about sixteen miles northwest of Kaskaskia, served as the headquarters of the civil, the military and the marine government of the Illinois Territory. Shortly after the completion of the fort, a village – Nouvelle Chartres – grew nearby. Settlers from Canada and France, confident of protection, arrived and clustered near the...

The O’Hara Family of Prairie du Rocher Illinois

Henry O’Hara and his family, consisting of his wife, Margaret Brown O’Hara, and ten children, left Fredrick County, Maryland, in the latter part of 1811 and moved to Nelson County, Kentucky. His children, born in order here named, were: Mary, Amellia, Catherine, James, Thomas, Samuel, Henry, Sarah, John, and Charles. The family lived on a farm in Kentucky for six years, and in the fall of 1817 set out by wagons for the State Illinois. Arriving in Illinois, they lived during the winter of 1817 in the Mississippi bottom, south of Cahokia, and in the spring of 1818 moved on a farm four miles below Prairie du Rocher, along the bluff, where they resided until 1819, then moved six miles north to claim No. 1284, survey No. 611, and from that time the place was known as the O’Hara Settlement. When Henry O’Hara left Kentucky he bought, in Beardstown, the works of their clock, and when he was established in his home, O’Hara Settlement, he had the case built at Kaskaskia and the clock works placed in it. After the death of Henry O’Hara, Sr., which occurred in June, 1826, the clock became the property of his eldest son, James O’Hara. James O’Hara continued to reside on the homestead until his death, which occurred April 8, 1884, he being 84 years and 5 months old. By will of James O’Hara, his youngest son Charles became the owner of the clock. This clock has, during all the years from the time it was first put in operation up to the present time, been a true and reliable timekeeper and has...

Pin It on Pinterest