Discover your family's story.

Enter a grandparent's name to get started.

Start Now

The Shea Family of Prairie du Rocher Illinois

John Shea, farmer, of Red Bud, Illinois, Rural Route #3, was born June 20, 1858, in Randolph County, near Prairie du Rocher. He attended the public school and then worked for his father, Michael Shea, until 1880, when he rented a farm near Prairie du Rocher, and in 1885, he moved to the present location, where he still resides. On September 25, 1883, he was united in the holy bonds of wedlock to Miss Katherine Faherty. Six children came to bless the family ties – two sons, William M. and Harry J.; four daughters, Mary C., Julia A., Ellen S. and Gertrude C. Shea. Mrs. Shea died April 21, 1915. Mr. Shea was a trustee of the Ruma Church for nine years. He is well known through-out this section and is very...

The Wierschem Family of Prairie du Rocher Illinois

One of our literary geniuses has remarked that the history of any locality is but the history of its great men. The destinies of splendid empires are shaped by the personalities of their rulers, and a whole people sometimes owes its prosperity to the energies of one man, who stands at the head of the state. And in a community this principle is even more forcibly demonstrated, for here the thoughts of a few leaders permeate to the farthest boundaries and shape the thoughts of the masses. Viewed in this light, how significant do the biographies of prominent men become! The subject of our sketch was born in Madonnaville, Monroe County, on August 3, 1868. He was one of a family of fourteen children, whose father was John Wierschem, a known farmer. He attended both the parochial and the public schools, and then remained at home, assisting in the work of the farm until the death of the father in 1892. In that year Mr. Wierschem decided to become master of his own farm, and accordingly bought the farm of 65 acres situated on Rural Route #3, Prairie du Rocher, Illinois. This has been his home up to the present time. On November 30, 1893, he was married to Miss Zoe Thuillier. She was born in September 1872, a daughter of the widely- known farmer, Emil Thuillier of Prairie du Rocher, and lived at home up to the time of her marriage. Her life has been notable for great devotion to the Church, which she is constantly helping. She belongs to the Altar Society. The four children of their...

The Frawley Family of Prairie du Rocher Illinois

A very beloved inhabitant of Prairie du Rocher is Mr. Maurice Frawley. He was born in beautiful Ireland, in County Limerick, in the year 1833. Here he spent his childhood, went through the parish school, and was married to Miss Mary Crimmins on February 4, 1859. Of their children only a daughter is still alive. They came to America in 1862, residing in New York until October, 1865, when they joined the westward tide and came to St. Louis and continued their residence there until 1872. That year Mr. Frawley and family moved to Kidd, Monroe County, Illinois, and rented the Waddle farm, which they continued to till until 1913, when on account of old age Mr. Frawley retired and took up his residence at Prairie du Rocher. Mr. Frawley looks back upon a life of toil, yet filled with the happiness of having gained his livelihood by honesty and...

The Siegfried Family of Prairie du Rocher Illinois

Anton Siegfried, whose address is Red Bud, Illinois, Rural Route #3, was born in Elsass, Germany, July 26, 1852. After leaving school he worked for his father on a farm until 1872, when he immigrated to America, direct to Red Bud. For a while he worked on a farm, and in 1876 rented a farm. In 1888 he became a dealer in cattle and hogs. In 1891 he went to Ruma and opened a meat market. Seven years later he also opened a general merchandise store. Mr. Siegfried did not confine his buying to live stock, but also bought and sold farm lands. In 1910 he turned the meat market over to his sons and devotes his entire time to his merchandise business. Mr. Siegfried was married August 22, 1878, to Miss Mary Melly. Eight children were born to them, Arnold J., Leo J., Emil A. and Max M. Siegfried. Mr. Siegfried is a Democrat. He was a member of the school board for three years, and president of the Village of Ruma for two years. Besides owning the store he also owns a 120 acre farm. Mrs. Anton Siegfried is the daughter of Mike Melly. She was born May 29, 1852, in Belleville, Illinois. At the age of 7 years her parents moved to Red Bud,...

The Eichenseer Family of Prairie du Rocher Illinois

John Eichenseer, who gets his mail through Red Bud, Illinois, Rural Route No. 3, was born March 3, 1863, in Madonnaville, Monroe County, Illinois. After leaving the parochial and public schools he worked for his father until his marriage, which took place October 28, 1890. Miss Mary Wierschem was his bride. Then he bought a farm of eighty acres, and has lived here ever since. Mr. Eichenseer reared a family of ten children – four sons, Vincent A., Leo William, Herman A., and Bernhard F; six daughters, Ida E., Christina A., Theresia A., Veronica F., Anastasia M. and Angela M. Mr. Eichenseer is a Democrat and is well known in the community. Mrs. Eichenseer (nee Wierschem) was born July 19, 1870, in Madonnaville, Illinois, and after her school days assisted her parents until her marriage. Joseph Eichenseer Joseph Eichenseer, farmer, was born September 17, 1870, in Madonnaville, Monroe County, Illinois. His present address is Red Bud, Randolph County, Illinois. Rural Route No. 3. He attended the parochial school, after which he worked for his father until 1902. On November 9, 1898, he was united in the holy bonds of matrimony to Miss Mary Vogt, The family was blessed with three children, all boys, vix: Henry A., Albert G. and Emil W. Eichenseer. Mrs. Joseph Eichenseer is the daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Adam Vogt, and was born June 11, 1878, near Red Bud, Illinois. After attending the parochial school she assisted her parents in the household duties until her marriage. His present farm of 100 acres was willed to him by his father, Joseph Eichenseer. George Eichenseer George Eichenseer,...

The Seitz Family of Prairie du Rocher Illinois

George J. Seitz, the well-known liquor dealer, was born August 11, 1870, in Ste. Genevieve, Missouri. After attending the public and parochial schools, learned the trade of butcher and at the age of 20 went to St. Louis, working at his trade for some time; then he returned to Ste. Genevieve, and in 1894 he went to Prairie du Rocher, working for Mr. Hauck, the butcher. From 1906 to 1910 he conducted a hotel and two years later, in 1912, he started a saloon and has conducted it ever since. Mr. Seitz is a Democrat, and is popular. He acquired considerable property, and is the owner of a 260-acre farm, besides saloon and residence property. Mr. Seitz was president of the school board for nine years and served as member of the village board for six years. He is also a member of the Prairie du Rocher band, playing the trombone. He was married to Mary E. Menard April 27, 1905, and to their union were born three boys, George L., Walter E., and Valentine M. Seitz, and two girls, Melba M. and Genevieve G. Seitz. Mr. Seitz is fond of hunting and fishing, and is well-known in this section of the country. Mrs. George J. Seitz, who is the daughter of Edmund E. Menard of Prairie du Rocher, Illinois, was born here March 21, 1873, and is a grandniece of Pierre Menard, the distinguished pioneer settler of Illinois, also first Lieutenant governor. Her first husband, John Brickey, to whom she was married in 1894, died in 1903. There were no children to this union. Her husband was a...

The Ellner Family of Prairie du Rocher Illinois

Among the more prominent farmers inhabiting the region of Prairie du Rocher is Mr. John Peter Ellner of Rural Route #2. He is a native of the State of Missouri, where he was born in the town of Herman on August 18, 1872. However, his parents were of an adventurous disposition and not satisfied with the opportunities offered by our neighbor state, removed, in 1876, to Horse Prairie and later, in 1881, to Ruma, Illinois. Here the family at length found a pleasant home and remained in that district. Here Mr. Ellner received his education by attending both the public and parochial schools. His schooling over, he entered upon a busy and eventful life, Fate had not cast him into the lap of luxury, nor ordained that he should live a life of idleness and security. On the contrary, his life is a record of constant application and unremittent effort, as the man climbed ever higher and arrived at last at the very pinnacle of success. After leaving school Mr. Ellner worked on the farm of his parents until his twenty-second year. Then he spent four more years working as an assistant to several other farmers. Finally he saw himself able to become the manager of a farm, and in the year 1900 he rented a farm of 120 acres. This farm it has been his sole ambition to improve and make a model for all who behold it. In the same year he was married. Mrs. Horse Prairiewas the daughter of Joseph Myerscough of Hecker, Illinois. In that town she was born March 6, 1876. At the early...

The Brickey House of Prairie du Rocher Illinois

Nearly every town has an old house with an interesting story. Prairie du Rocher has several, one of which was the Brickey house. Unoccupied for many years, this large three-story, square-framed house with its wide porches, stained glass, shuttered windows, and mansard roof attracted the attention of the most casual visitor to the village. It stood among large trees of a generous plot of ground below the bluff, it silently proclaimed the hospitality that once was known there. The fine iron fence that enclosed the grounds emphasized its air of detachment.

History of St. Joseph Church Prairie du Rocher Illinois

St. Joseph Church Prairie du Rocher, Illinois, was established in 1722 as a chapel dependent upon the royally endowed church of Ste. Anne at Fort Chartres. King Louis XIV of France had dreamed of a great French empire in Mid America, but died before he could bring his dream to reality. Following his death in 1715, the regent, Philip of Orleans, ruling for the boy King Louis XV, commissioned Pierre Duque Boisbriant to found Fort Chartres in 1718 on the mighty Mississippi, midway between Quebec and New Orleans, to be the capital of the new French empire in Mid America. The fort was named after the Due de Chartres, son of the regent, and was the functioning capital of the Illinois country, then a French possession. From the beginning of the fort a church was established in the village of Nouvelle Chartres outside the walls. It was staffed by two Jesuit priests, Father Le Boullenger and Father De Beaubois, who cared for the spiritual needs of the soldiers garrisoned at the fort, and the French families of the area surrounding the fort. Soon the swampy condition of the soil near the fort prompted some of the French settlers to move to higher ground at the foot of the picturesque rock bluffs. Jean St. Therese Langlois, the nephew of Pierre Duque Boisbriant, commandant of the king, received from his uncle the commandant, a grant of land for a village beneath the bluffs. They called it “La Belle Prairie du Rocher,” namely, “The Beautiful Meadow Beneath the Rock.” A chapel of logs in what is the present and original cemetery was...

The Palmier Family of Prairie du Rocher Illinois

M. H. Palmier was born June 5, 1877, near Prairie du Rocher, Illinois. He attended the parochial school and after leaving school worked for his father until 1893, then he went to Prairie du Rocher and worked until 1897, when he went to Red Bud, Illinois, and was clerking in the hotel and cafe. It was here he met his wife (nee Miss Dillie Miller) and married here January 28, 1901. Four children bless their home, viz: Phillip D., Berthram J. L., Wilmarth M., and Goldie A. Palmier. For a short time he engaged in the liquor business in St. Louis, but finally returned to Prairie du Rocher, and in 1908 purchased the present property. In 1908 he erected the new up-to-date building containing a large hall, salon and billiard room, saddlery, barber shop. Mr. Palmier is also owner of a fine residence which he had erected on a large lot 140 x 148 feet. Mr. Palmier is a public-spirited citizen, politically a Democrat and served the public in the capacity of village treasurer in 1906, 1909, 1911, and 1912; was elected on the village board and is still a member. He is well and favorably known to the community, always ready to assist in advancing the interest of the people. He was one of the instigators of the new electric light plant and enjoys the reputation of having an up-to-date place. Mrs. M. H. Palmier, who is daughter of A. G. Miller, for a number of years marshal of Red Bud, was born December 12, 1883, in Red Bud, Illinois. M. H. Palmier Mrs. M. H. Palmier Palmier’s...
Page 3 of 41234

Pin It on Pinterest