The First Universalist church of Marlboro, located at the village, was organized by Rev. J. V. Wilson, with forty members, in October, 1835, Rev. Edwin Davis being the first resident pastor. Their church building, a wood structure erected in 1850, will seat 250 persons, cost $2,000.00, and is valued at $5,000.00, The society has fifty
Rev. Sullivan H. McCollester, son of Silas and grandson of Isaac, was born in this town December 18, 1826, and is now a resident of Dover, N. ii, though he still owns a part of the ancestral estate, He is a graduate of the Cambridge Divinity school, and was given the degree of D. D.,
Clark Mason was born here April 16, 1794, removed to Oswego county, N. Y., in 1817, remained until 1824, then came back to Marlboro, and diedk here in August, 1861. 1. His grandson, Warren W., son of William C., is superintendent of Hale’s chair factory, at South Keene.
The Trinitarian Congregational church, located at Marlboro, was organized by a council convened for the purpose, with eight members, in 1778. The first pastor was Rev. Joseph Cummings. The first church building stood near what is now called Meeting -house pond, and was raised November 21, 1990, though it was not completed until 1774. The
Jedediah Putney, a native of Charlton, Mass., located in Fitzwilliam about eighty years ago, and from there came to Marlboro, where he died in 1866, aged eighty-one years. His son Moses, born in Fitzwilliam, came to Marlboro in 1864, but returned about seven years ago.
As early in the Revolutionary contest as 1775, at least six of Marlboro’s scanty population joined the continental army, viz.: Moses Tucker, Timothy Rogers, Robert Worsley, Daniel Collins, Lieutenant James Brewer and Pearson Newell. In a report made by the selectmen on the 3d of October of that year, however, the number is given at
Martin Chase was born in Unity, N. H., and came to this town in 1869. He represented the town of Washington in the legislature of 1840, and now holds the office of justice of the peace.
Keene, as is known to many through the sketches of Mr. Frank Whitcomb, has a very interesting Masonic history. A year had not elapsed after Free Masonry had been welcomed to New England before New Hampshire was blessed with its light. During the early days of Free Masonry in this country there were two Grand
The first settler in the town was William Barker, a native of Westboro, Mass., who located in what is now Westhill, in Troy. He came on in 1761, selected the place for his future home, and came back again in 1762, and commenced a clearing. He seems not to have done much from that time
The matter of supplying Keene with an adequate water supply was agitated at an early date. In 1861 a charter was granted for the purpose, the estimated cost of the proposed works being $40,000.00. Much opposition was met with, however, on the part of some tax payers, which, combined with the troubles of the war,