Amasa Wells, born in Barnet, Vt., came to Stowe in 1850, and located on road 41, where he still resides.
B. O. Shaw, a son of Benoni Shaw, an early settler in Morristown, came to Stowe in 1853, and located where he still resides, on road 22.
Horatio D. Calkins, a native of Hyde Park, came to Stowe in 1864, and now resides near Moscow, on road 49.
Ephraim T. Hodge, born in Franconia, N. H., came to Stowe when three years of age. He now resides on road 36.
Timothy Brown and wife, Meredeth Ward, were the first settlers in the town, coming from Westmoreland, N. H., in the year 1797. He bought 450 acres of land on West hill, embracing the Stephen Leach farm and adjoining lands. Here he lived until 1829, when he removed to Ohio, where he passed the remainder of
Samuel F. Pike, a native of Brookfield, Vt., married Betsey B. Newman, of Morristown, and came to this town, locating on road 4, upon the place now owned by Mrs. Nancy Pike. In 1872, he removed to road 4, where he resides with Henry A. Pike.
Heman Story was born in this town, near Moscow. His father died when he was a year and a half old, and his mother died when he was five years of age. In 1861, he located on road 17, corner of 18, where he still resides.
The Leache are the descendants of a McLeach family, of Scotland. Three brothers McLeach came to this country. from the Highlands of Scotland about 250 years ago, and settled at Cold Run, Mass. They afterwards removed to Westmoreland, N. H., where, nearly 125 years since, the name was changed, on petition to Parliament, from McLeach
Hiram S. Atkins, born in Waterbury, Vt., came to Stowe in 1845. He is now engaged in mercantile pursuits at Stowe.
Osgood McFarland, a son of Major Moses McFarland, of the revolutionary war, a Scotch-Irish immigrant, together with his wife, Mary Bartlett, came to town from Haverhill, Mass., in 1809. A few years afterwards he removed to Marietta, Ohio. He remained there seven years, when, on account of his health, he returned to Vermont, driving his