Phil. Carlin, County Recorder, is a native of Ill.; came to Iowa in 1860, and settled in Clinton Co.; removed to Woodbury Co., in 1871, and located in Union; was elected to his present office in 1880, and removed to Sioux City the same year.
George Douglass, M.D., was born in Canada in 1843; graduated in 1868 from the Eclectic Medical College of Ohio; came to Iowa in 1870, and settled in Iowa County. He removed to Sioux City in 1872, where he is now in the practice of his profession. He held the office of county physician for several
M.E. Bedford, of the firm of Bedford Brothers, dentists, began the practice of dentistry in Grand Rapids, Mich., in 1866; in 1872, located in Worthington, Minn., and engaged in the practice in Sioux City in 1876, with his brother, L.N. Bedford, who, with his assistant, R.F. Merrick, travels in Southern Minn., Northern Iowa, Southeastern Dakota
L.H. Drumm, proprietor of the Washington meat market, which is one of the finest markets in the west, with all of the appurtenances that would do credit to an eastern city-was born in Bavaria in 1839; came to America in 1861 and settled in Cincinnati, Ohio. removed to Lyons, Iowa; thence to New Frankfort, Mo.,
John Beck, proprietor of the Sioux City planing mills. This mill was established Aug. 22nd, 1871. In this year the building was enlarged, and machinery added, by Mr. B. and partner. In 1881, Mr. B. became sole proprietor. The amount of business transacted by the establishment, is about $12,000 per annum. Mr. Beck was born
Christ. Doss, proprietor of the Milwaukee House-located near dept-was born in Meeklingburg, Germany, in 1836; came to America in 1854, and settled in O., where he learned carpentry. Thence he removed to Dubuque, Iowa; came to this city in 1857, and was one of its pioneers. He married Mary Sohl, of Germany. They have five
E.H. Bucknam, of the firm of J.P. Dennis & Co., was born in Washington Co., Maine, in 1843; moved to Toledo, O., in 1866; thence to Chicago, where he remained until 1868, when he came to this place, and entered the above firm.
John Davelaar, of the firm of Davelaar Brothers, house, sign and ornamental painters-shop on Douglas Street, between 3rd and 4th streets-established in 1879. He was born in Holland in 1838, came to America in 1848, and settled in Pittsburg, Pennsylvania; moved to Wis., and in 1875, came to Sioux City, where he was engaged in
Frank X. Babue, of the firm of Payette & Babue shop opposite High School building was born in Montreal, Canada in 1842; came to the U.S. in 1854, and settled in N.Y. He moved to Mass.; thence to Connecticut; thence to Vermont, and in 1875, he came to Sioux City. He married Medrise Delier, of
Thomas Dorman, baker and confectioner-No. 56, Pearl St.-was born in England in 1841; came to America in 1863, and settled in Chicago; removed to Omaha, Neb., 1867. During the late ware he served two years under Gen. Myers. He married Amelia Gibbons, and has two children-Annie and Arthur.