Enter a grandparent's name to get started.
The above firm composed of W. H. Johnson and Clarence and C. P. Johnson, have done perhaps as much towards developing the resources of Grant County as any of her citizens. They are all men of sterling character and more than ordinary business ability. They settled in the Big Basin on the John Day River in 1872, and became engaged in stock rising, which they followed until 1883, they then went into the sheep business, and today own in the neighborhood of 15,000, and have about two thousand acres of land on the John Day River. In 1894 they became interested in mining in the Quartsburg district, buying out the Bardwell claims, a group of four. In 1895 they began developing, and have erected a ten-ton Crawford mill. There property has become a very valuable one. They are also interested in the Canyon City Telephone Company, running from Canyon City to Baker City, Bourne, and the Bonanza and Columbia mines, altogether about 110 miles of long distance wire, with metallic circuit, and also city exchanges, Clarence Johnson being president of the company and C. P. Johnson vice president.