Leola Gover Painter, 86, of Baker City, Ore., left to be with the Lord on Sept. 4, 2007, at St. Elizabeth Health Services in Baker City.
Visitation was held from Noon – 6 p.m. on Sunday, Sept. 9, at Gray’s West & Co. Pioneer Chapel.
Funeral Services was held at 10 a.m. on Monday, Sept. 10 at Gray’s West & Co., and reconvening at 1 p.m. for interment at Pine Haven Cemetery, Halfway, Ore. Pastor Jon Privett of the First Church of the Nazarene officiated.
She was born May 22, 1921, in the Richland and Newbridge area to Olen A. Gover and Nancy L. Maxwell Gover. Leola married Ralph E. Painter on Oct. 14, 1939, in Weiser, Idaho. The couple had six children, Karen, Marlene, Nancy, Myron, Fredrick and Randall.
Leola was a wonderful mother and wife. Her care giving extended past her family to her work outside the home in hospitals caring for the elderly and with her charity work for the Salvation Army. She touched the life of many with her genuine concern for everyone’s wellbeing over her own. Even in her later years when her heart began to weaken in strength, it was still strong enough to care for those around her.
Keeping with the old traditions, Leola enjoyed every morning writing letters to family and friends to inform them of the family’s activities. These correspondences were a very important part of her life. Leola was known for never missing a friend or family member’s birthday, everyone received a card.
Leola is survived by her children, Karen Humphries and her husband, Carl, Marlene “Molly” Dickenson, Nancy Geddes and Myron Painter; several grandchildren; great-grandchildren; great-great-grandchildren; and sister, Christine Tyler of Baker City.
She was preceded in death by her husband, Ralph; sons, Fredrick Olen and Randall Lynn; brothers, Bruce, Milford and Leonard Gover; and sister Gertrude.
Memorial contribution can be made to the charity of one’s choice in care of Gray’s West & Co., 1500 Dewey Ave., Baker City, OR 97814.
Used with permission from: The Record Courier, Baker City, Oregon, September 13, 2007
Transcribed by: Belva Ticknor