La Grande, Union County, Oregon
Suffering from severe burns caused by the ignition of gasoline, Theodore Thomas Donohue, son of Mrs. and Mrs. E. J. Donohue of La Grande died Sunday night at a local hospital.
The accident occurred when young Donohue, accompanied by Bob Blanchard, also of La Grande, had started on a hunting trip and were repairing their stalled vehicle on the road to the intake, between Whiskey and Jordan creeks, about 15 miles southwest of La Grande.
According to Blanchard’s report, the youth had taken a lantern to the rear of the car to drain gasoline from the tank. Shortly thereafter, Blanchard saw him running from the car, his clothes aflame, screaming. Blanchard caught him and rolled him in the dirt to extinguish the fire.
The pair made their way to the Ed Bartmess place about three or four miles from the scene of the accident. Both were taken to the hospital from there by the first aid car; Donohue died several hours later; Blanchard is still under treatment.
Ted Donohue was well known in La Grande, of which he was a resident for all his 19 years. He was born here June 30, 1922 and started to school at he Sacred Heart academy, later entering the Central grade school; he graduated from La Grande high school last June and had enrolled at the Eastern Oregon college of Education.
He is survived by his parents; one brother, Donald; three sisters, Ethel Wagner, Betty Roe and Angela; his aunt Nell McLachlen; and other relatives and numerous friends.
Rosary will be said at the Snodgrass chapel at 7:30 Tuesday night. Funeral services will be at the Catholic church at 9:00 o’clock Wednesday morning.
Monday, September 29, 1941