Lars C. Henrichsen, wholesale and retail jeweler, of Portland, was born in Denmark, in 1839. His father was a farmer and he remained at home on the farm until he had reached the age of fifteen years when he went to Apenrade, town of Schleswig, Denmark, to learn the trade of a watchmaker, where he remained for six years. In 1860, he emigrated to America and located in Portland, and after working a short time at his trade, removed to Vancouver where he remained a little more than a year, when he again came to Portland where he has ever since resided.
Upon his return to Portland he secured employment with Jacob Cohn, then located on Front street. A few years later, with Gustave Hanson, he purchased his employer’s business and under the firm name of L. C. Henrichsen & Co., continued business on Front street, but about twenty years ago removed to First street. Mr. Hanson remained in the firm but three years, and from that time until 1879, Mr. Henrichsen was alone. In 1879, S. H. Greenberg became a partner and was associated with Mr. Henrichsen for seven years, since which the latter has continued the business alone.
Mr. Henrichsen is not only a dealer in but a manufacturer of jewelry, both for a retail and a wholesale trade, and is the leader in this branch of business in Portland, his trade extending over the entire State. This large business has been built up by honorable dealing, by hard and persistent work and the exercise of excellent business sagacity. He is recognized in this community as a man of the highest integrity and has the perfect confidence of the business public.
He was married in 1867, to Miss Hannah Winter, a native of Denmark. They have three children and one of the most pleasant homes on Lownsdale street. Mr. Henrichsen is a member of the Episcopal Church and of the Masonic order, being a member of the order of Scottish Rite. At the present time he is the oldest jeweler in business in Portland, and his connection with Portland’s growth and progress has been in every way creditable to himself and beneficial to the city.