EDWARD P. ASHBY. – Among those who came to Union county with limited capital and have been enabled to work out here a competence for themselves, becoming prosperons and well-to-do in the goods of this world, may be mentioned the successful agriculturist and stockman whose name is at the head of this brief article and who stands to day as one of the substantial and worthy citizens of this progressive and wealthy county.
At the present time Mr. Ashby owns a good farm about seven miles north of North Powder, and also a comfortable residence in the town of North Powder, where he is dwelling now for the purpose of having better school facilities for his children. His estate is well improved and he is handling considerable stock. When he landed in this county in 1871, with his parents, he was not possessed of much of this world’s goods, and thinking that there were better opportunities farther ahead they went on to the Willamette valley, and for six years wrought in that region and then returned in 1877 to Union county. The father homesteaded a place in Pyle’s canyon, and there he and the subject of this sketch went into partnership in raising stock, this arrangement continuing until 1893, when the son took the homestead, which is now his farm.
On February 13, 1879, Mr. Ashby and Miss Francelia, daughter of Samuel and Perana (Huntley) Hewitt, were married, and to them have been born nine children: Arthur T., deceased Alva, deceased; infant not named, deceased; Sarah L., Bessie, Jennie, Dollie, Katie and Jessie. Mrs. Ashby’s mother was a sister to C.C.C Huntley, of pioneer stage fame.
Mr. Ashby was born in Cassopolis, Cass county, Michigan, being the son of Bladon and Sarah (DeBolt) Ashby and the date of his nativity was January 18, 1855. While still a child his parents removed to Louisa county, Iowa, whence in 1871 they came to Union, as stated above.
The father of our subject died on June 24, 1900, but his mother is still living in Union. During the Civil war the father enlisted in Company K, Eighth Iowa, at the outbreak of hostilities and served faithfully until 1864, when he was discharged honorably on account of sickness, having been in the hospital for six months continuously. He was a member of the G.A.R. in Union and after his discharge he was elected as captain of the militia company and afterward was commissioned as such by the governor of the state. Our subject is a member of the Woodsmen of the World, Lodge No. 109, in North Powder. He is esteemed as a man of good principles and sterling integrity and holds a place of respect and is secure in the confidence of his fellows.