Enter a grandparent's name to get started.
AARON ROSE. – This gentleman, one of the earliest pioneers of the Umpqua valley, was born in Ulster county, in the State of New York, June 20, 1813, and was raised a farmer. He was married to Minerva Kelley in 1838.
He crossed the plains with his family in 1851, arriving at Foster’s August 22d, and came directly to the valley of the South Umpqua, and settled at the mouth of Deer creek, upon the present site of the flourishing city of Roseburg, Oregon, September 23, 1851. He at once built a house and engaged in farming, in which he was very successful. His house was for many years used as a tavern, which will be kindly remembered by all the old pioneers who used to pack or travel over the road to and from the mines. In 1854 the county-seat of Douglas county was removed by a vote of the people, from Winchester to Mr. Rose’s farm, when a town was surveyed, which was named Roseburg by its settlers.
Mr. Rose showed his liberality at the time by donating the site for the public buildings, and contributing one thousand dollars towards the erection of the first courthouse. He was elected a member of the territorial legislature of 1855-56; but he has never since been a candidate for any office. Possessing great energy, he has always been foremost in every public enterprise. Upon the completion of the Oregon & California Railroad to Roseburg, he laid off a handsome addition to the city, one-half of which he donated to the company as a bonus for the establishment of a depot. He has also caused the erection of a dam on the South Umpqua river, which is now utilized to run the city water works, a woolen mill and a roller flour mill. The business of the latter he superintends with all the energy of his youth.
With a kind and genial disposition, and generous to a fault, Mr. Rose is beloved by all; and it is safe to say he has no enemy. Mr. Rose has been twice married, his second wife being Frances Arrington. He has two daughters by his first wife, and a son and daughter by his second.