GEORGE W. HARRIS. – This successful business man of Morrow county was born at Pittsfield, Pike county, Illinois, February 18, 1858. During his minor years he followed the fortunes of his parents, who moved to Iowa in 1860, and four years later crossed the plains to California with ox-teams, locating at Red Bluff. In 1865 they came to Oregon and located at Monmouth. From that date many changes and removals were undergone, including a return to California, a residence at Corvallis and again at Eugene; also a trip across the continent to Missouri, Texas and Iowa, and a return to Oregon, where a home was made at Bethel, Polk county; and in 1880 a final settlement at Pendleton.
During these wanderings George received a good, common-school education, and upon reaching adult life studied medicine three years with his father with the expectation of taking a full course at some medical institute and receiving a degree, although he never completed the design. Soon after coming to Umatilla county, he began business for himself, making his first effort in agriculture. The winter of 1884 he spent at Portland in attendance upon the business college. With this further equipment for business, he returned to Pendleton and engaged as clerk the following year in a drug store.
In 1885 he discovered, or made for himself, a suitable opportunity at Lexington, Oregon, and coming hither opened a drug business, which he successfully continues to the present time. He was appointed postmaster in the fall of 1886, and still retains the position. He also handles implements for Frank Bros. of Portland, and deals wholesale in wheat.
He was married in 1887 to Miss Hattie Powers, and lives with her a most happy domestic life, having one child, Georgie.