Hon. Chas. P. Rutherford, County Judge of Harney County. Is essentially a self-made man. Left an orphan at an early age, his education was that of the tallow dip and district school. At the age of sixteen he began ruining through Idaho and Oregon, also packing from Umatilla landing to Boise Basin. In 1873 he began raising stock in Grant County, but moved five years later to Morrow County.
Returning in 1887 to Grant, now Harney, County, he has resided here since. He was formerly a member of the Democratic Party, but was elected County Judge in 1894 on the Populist ticket, being liberally supported by members of all parties on his record as a man. He has aimed to serve the best interests of the County, and through the efforts of himself and the two county commissioners a half million dollars worth of taxable property has been added to the tax roll of Harney County, all of which had heretofore evaded taxation.