Enter a grandparent's name to get started.
Mary I. Weimer, who served as matron 1909 to 1911, a native of Port Royal, Pennsylvania, came to Oak Hill from Knox, in the Devils Lake Region of North Dakota; where, after a course of preparation at the state teachers college at Fargo, she achieved an unusual degree of success, both as a teacher and manager of affairs on the farm. These interests prevented her from coming the previous year when first solicited.
At the Academy she rendered a service so efficient and faithful as to merit the gratitude of all. After the loss of the Girls’ Hall, which occurred during her first year, when all of its occupants were deprived of comfortable quarters, the fear was entertained she would want to be excused from further service. Instead of pursuing this course she became one of our best counselors and helpers in the effort to provide for the comfort of herself and the girls, and keep the latter from returning home at that critical period.
The superintendent will never cease to be grateful for her favorable decision at this trying hour, and the self-denial she voluntarily proposed to undergo, in order to make it possible, to continue the work of the institution. It was the period when Mrs. Flickinger was a helpless invalid at Fonda, patiently awaiting the return of her husband, with daily anxiety. He could not leave, however, until the cellar excavation and concrete walls of the building had been completed. This done, Samuel Folsom was ready to serve as foreman of the carpenters, in the erection of the new building, and it fell to the lot of Miss Weimer, to serve as general manager, in the absence of the superintendent. The situation was one that required unusual courage, as well as prudence and self-control. Her heroism was equal to the call to duty. Loyalty and faithfulness were her constant watchwords.
At the end of the next term in 1911, she found it necessary to give her personal attention anew to the interests of her own home and farm. She enjoys the distinction of having served as matron, the last year in the Girls’ Hall and the first one in Elliott Hall. She is gratefully remembered by all, who became the subjects of her daily care and domestic training.