Enter a grandparent's name to get started.
Since 1908 Dr. M. B. Scott has been practicing in Delaware and has won an enviable position among the medical men of Nowata County. A native of Muskogee County, Indian Territory, he was born on the 9th of August, 1879, a son of F. M. and Mary (McClain) Scott. The father was born in Tennessee and removed from his native state to Indian Territory in 1850. Locating in the Canadian district, he engaged in farming and stock raising, and achieved more than gratifying success in that connection. His demise occurred in 1896. His wife was a native of Oklahoma and a sister of Judge William McClain of Muskogee. She died in 1908.
In the acquirement of his early education M. B. Scott attended the common schools of his native County, later becoming a student in the Male Seminary at Tahlequah. Determining to enter the medical profession, he then enrolled in the College of Physicians & Surgeons at Dallas, Texas, and was graduated from that institution in 1906, with the M. D. degree. The following year he took up the practice of his profession in Webbers Falls and in 1908 came to Delaware, where he has remained, having built up an extensive and lucrative practice. Dr. Scott has remained a constant student of his profession and he is a close and accurate observer. The ability he has shown in his practice and the interest he has taken in his patients have been productive of a gratifying degree of success and he ranks today as one of the most prominent physicians and surgeons in this part of the state.
In 1900 was celebrated the marriage of Dr. Scott to Miss Iva C. Dugan, a native of Tennessee. To their union five children have been born: Arthur, eighteen years of age, and a freshman in the University of Oklahoma; Coble, sixteen years of age, and a student in the tenth grade; James Leslie, twelve years of age, who is a student in the seventh grade; Ruth, a student in the fourth grade ; and Jack, two years of age.
The religious faith of the family is that of the Methodist Church, to the support of which they are generous contributors. In 1922 Dr. Scott was very instrumental in consolidating three school districts, thus enabling Delaware to have an up-to-date high school building costing sixty thousand dollars. Fraternally Dr. Scott is identified with the Masons and the Benevolent Protective Order of Elks. Dr. Scott has always been one of the enterprising and progressive citizens of the town and he has a splendid memory for the events of territorial days and relates them with interest. Success has attended him in his profession and he is a man who would be an acquisition to any community, not only because of his disinterested public services but because of the capable and intelligent manner in which he directs any enterprise with which he is connected, the strength and progress of any town depending upon the resourcefulness and sagacity of its citizens.