George L. Wilkie, a progressive farmer residing near Bartlesville, is interested in all modern developments along agricultural lines and by his prosperity in a modern enterprise conducted along scientific lines, is proving the value of system in promoting productiveness. He is a native son of Oklahoma, his birth having occurred at Bartlesville on the 26th of June, 1890, and his parents were Andrew and Leona (Tayrien) Wilkie, the latter a representative of one of the pioneer families of this state. His father was a native of Germany and when a young man of eighteen years he came to the United States, two years later making his way to Indian Territory, where he engaged in farming and stock raising until his death, which occurred on the 3d of September, 1900. Louis F. Wilkie, a brother of the subject of this review, is represented elsewhere in this work.
George L. Wilkie acquired his education in the government school at Pawhuska, the public schools of Bartlesville and he also attended school at Eldorado Springs, Missouri. On starting out in life independently he also chose the occupation of farming, which he has since successfully followed, and is now the owner of a valuable farm of one hundred and sixty acres, situated two miles northwest of Bartlesville, near the Mound. He has added many improvements to his place, including the erection of a fine home costing twelve thousand dollars, in which he has installed a lighting plant, supplying it with every convenience to be found in the most modern city residence. He has a thorough knowledge of soil and climatic conditions here and has worked diligently as the years have passed, bringing his land to a high state of development and transforming his property into one of the most desirable farms in this part of the state.
On the 11th of January, 1911, Mr. Wilkie was united in marriage to Miss Minnie Vaughn, a daughter of Samuel and Julia (Grundy) Vaughn, who formerly resided in Missouri. The father is deceased but the mother survives and is now living in Bartlesville. To Mr. and Mrs. Wilkie were born three children: Wilber G., Donald Elmer, and Wilma L. The first named has passed away. During the World war George L. Wilkie joined the Ninety-seventh Division of the Three Hundred and Eighty-eighth Infantry and was stationed at Camp Cody, New Mexico. He is a fine specimen of physical manhood, being five feet, eleven inches in height and-weighing two hundred pounds, while his wife is also a splendid type of physical and mental development. He has been watchful of every opportunity pointing to success and although yet a young man he has already gained a notable measure of prosperity, while his devotion to duty, loyalty in citizenship and unquestioned integrity in all business transactions have gained for him the unqualified esteem of those among whom practically his entire life has been passed.