Enter a grandparent's name to get started.
Frank M. Johnson is one of the native sons of Washington County, where he still makes his home, being identified with farming and with oil interests. He resides a mile west of Dewey, on an excellent tract of land which he has brought under a state of cultivation. His birthplace was on Turkey creek, in the eastern part of Washington County, and the date of his birth was July 6, 1892. He is a son of John H. Johnson, who for many years was a progressive and enterprising farmer of Oklahoma. The father was born in Laurel County, Kentucky, December 8, 1865, his parents being Wesley N. and Martha Ann (Sparks) Johnson, also natives of Laurel County. They remained residents of Kentucky until about the year 1875, when they removed to northern Texas. There Wesley N. Johnson engaged in stock raising until 1881, when he went with his family to the Cherokee Nation and continued to reside in the Indian Territory until the year 1898, when both he and his wife passed away, the father dying in March, at the age of fifty-eight years, and the mother dying in September, at the age of sixty-one. Wesley N. Johnson had always followed farming and stock raising and was quite successful in his business affairs.
His son, John H. Johnson, also devoted his life to farming and stock raising, after pursuing a public school education. In the course of years he became the owner of an eighty-acre tract of land situated a mile west of Dewey, and upon the place made many substantial improvements. At length oil was discovered on his land and eight wells were put down, so that he derived therefrom a gratifying annual income. In 1891 he married Jennie Carr, who was born in the Cherokee Nation, on the Caney River, December 31, 1869, a daughter of N. F. Carr. Mrs. Johnson and her children received their allotment of land, so that the family owns altogether five hundred and thirty acres, all in one body, with the exception of one tract of eighty acres and another of sixty acres, both adjoining Dewey. Mr. and Mrs. John H. Johnson had seven children, of whom Frank is the eldest. The father died in February, 1920, at the age of fifty-one years. He had continued to engage in farming on Mission creek until he removed to Dewey and became sheriff of Washington County, which office he was filling at the time of his demise. He had also been United States marshal in the Indian Territory in the early days. He built a fine home a mile west of Dewey, which is now occupied by his son, Frank M. Mrs. Jennie Johnson survives and is a most active worker along lines contributing to the uplift of the individual and to the advancement of high standards of living. She belongs to the Baptist Church, is a member of Dewey Chapter of the Order of the Eastern Star, also of the Rebekah lodge at Dewey and of the Woodmen’s Circle. She is a lady of liberal culture, having completed her education in the Cherokee Female Seminary at Tahlequah, which she attended for two years. Mr. Johnson was also interested in fraternal organizations, having membership with both the lodge and encampment of the Odd Fellows, the Knights of Pythias, the Anti-Horse-Thief Association and with the Woodmen of the World. His political endorsement was given to the Republican Party, and while he never sought nor desired office he always cooperated with those movements seeking to advance civic standards and promote the public good.
Frank M. Johnson pursued his education in the schools of Dewey and after reaching adult age took up the occupation of farming on his own account. He had received thorough training in farm work while assisting his father and since starting out for himself he has met with substantial success, by reason of the careful manner in which he has directed the cultivation of his fields. He raises corn, oats, Kaffir corn and wheat and also devotes considerable attention to stock raising. He is likewise interested in Tennessee oil leases, from which he derives royalties and he also derives royalties from oil property, which he formerly owned a mile north of Dewey.
In 1914 Frank M. Johnson was united in marriage to Miss Myrtle Keener of Mount Morris, Pennsylvania, a daughter of Frank and Beall (Edwards) Keener, who are still residents of Mount Morris, where the father is filling the position of foreman with Arthur Lowry, owner of oil properties there. Mr. and Mrs. Johnson have become parents of two children: Anna Charlotte and John V., the latter now two years of age. Mr. Johnson has spent his life here and has, therefore, witnessed much of the growth and development of this section of the state, while his cooperation can at all times be counted upon to further plans and measures that are matters of civic virtue and of civic pride.