Enter a grandparent's name to get started.
Horton, William Perry; dentist; born, Pittsfield, Vt., Oct. 23, 1832; son of Dennis and Nancy B. McClellan Horton; educated in Wallingford, Vt.; preparing for college at Castleton Seminary; taught district school for seven years; in October, 1844, came to Cleveland, and in 1845, entered Oberlin College; after a year’s literary course took dental course in study under Dr. George B. Minor and Dr. Ferris at Milwaukee, Wis.; married, Elyria, O., Oct. 28, 1851, Louisa Chase of Maine; issue, two sons, William P. Jr., and Milton Chase, both residents of Cleveland; married, second time, Oct. 21, 1897, Miss Margaret Stroup of Pennsylvania; during dental study in Milwaukee, spent the winter months in school teaching; in 1851 returned to Oberlin and acted as manager of a department store till 1851; then spent six months more with dental firm in Milwaukee and was given certificate of qualification for the practice of dentistry; opened an office in Oberlin in 1852; removed to Cleveland and opened an office with the late Dr. Benjamin Stickland; in 1857, opened an office alone in Chapin’s Hall, present site of Williamson Bldg; identified with the dental profession in Cleveland, being dean of the profession; active in the various dental societies and associations; was the third pres. of the Ohio State Dental Society; also pres. of the Society of the Ohio College of Dental Surgery, and of the Northern Ohio Dental Society; sec’y and treas. of the State Board of Dental Examiners, and sec’y of section 7 of the American Dental Ass’n; contributor of many professional articles to the dental magazines; member of City Council, 1869-1877, and pres. of that body for eight years; vice pres. New England Society, representing Vermont; member Sociological Society, and was for a quarter of a century, member Chamber of Commerce, resigning in 1908; helped to organize the Republican party, having previously been a Whig; formerly a member and treas. of Plymouth Congregational Church; now member of Windemere Presbyterian Church, and active in the Presbyterian Union; fond of hunting; belonged to the Toussaint Shooting Club for twenty years.