Town of Sherburne, Chenango County, New York
The first physician was D. Lacy, who remained, however,
but a short time. Dr. Asa White, a Vermont sufferer, having received a
medical education in Vermont, removed from Putney in that State to the
town of Bainbridge, where, about 1794, he married Sarah, daughter of
Samuel Corbin, also a Vermont sufferer and an early settler in Bainbridge.
About 1796, Dr. White removed to Sherburne, where he practiced till his
death, Dec. 18, 1819, aged 47. His certificate of practice is signed by
Joab Enos and bears date of Jan. 16, 1797, two years previous to which he
had been in full practice.
Samuel Guthrie, ---- Miles, Israel Farrell and James Sheffield were early
physicians here. Dr. Guthrie was born in Brimfield, Mass., in 1781, and in
1802 emigrated to Smyrna. He removed in 1816 to Sacket's Harbor. He died
in Sacket's Harbor, Oct. 19, 1843. Dr. Farrell practiced here till his
death, in the fall of 1833. He settled on Sherburne Hill, two miles west
of the village. Dr. Sheffield settled a mile south of Earlville, where he
practiced a good many years. He died March 23, 1849, aged 82.
Aaron B. Bligh was practicing in the village before 1828. He removed about
1831 to Oneida county. Dr. Huchins Storrs came here about 1819 and
practiced till his death in 1832, a short time in company with Devillo
White. Royal Ross came here from New Berlin, where his father had
previously practiced, about 1823 or '4, and returned after a short time to
New Berlin. George Cleveland came about 1836 and returned after a year or
two to Waterville, whence he came and where he is now practicing. Squire
W. Corbin, a cousin of Dr. Devillo White,
with whom he read medicine, bought out Dr. Bligh and practiced four or
five years. He removed to North Norwich and from thence after a year or
two to Bainbridge. About 1837, John L. Kellogg came from New Hartford,
where he had just completed his medical studies. After practicing two or
three years he removed to Bridgewater. B. H. Marks came from Burlington
some thirty-six or thirty-eight years ago and practiced till his death
December 10, 1865, aged 73. He had practiced several years in Burlington.
The physicians now practicing in Sherburne village are Devillo
White, Elijah S. Lyman, Ira C. Owen, Fort Van Keuren, Henry C. Lyman
and Asa W. Jaynes.
Elijah S. Lyman was born in Torrington, Conn., April 26, 1812. In 1828 his
mother and her second husband removed to Sherburne. He was educated in
select schools in Warren, Conn, and Sherburne, and the academy at
Cazenovia. He commenced the study of medicine April 18, 1831, with Dr. Devillo
White, of Sherburne, with whom, on the completion of his studies, he
formed a co-partnership which continued from 1834 to 1843. He has
practiced continuously in Sherburne. He attended lectures at Fairfield
Medical College in 1833-4; and the Regents conferred on him the degree of
M. D. in 1870.
Ira C. Owen was born in Lebanon, N. Y., April 8, 1822, and educated in the
academy at Hamilton. He was licensed by the Madison County Medical Society
in 1865, and received a diploma from the Regents in June, 1869. He
commenced practice in Sherburne in 1846.
Fort VanKeuren was born in Rondout, N. Y., Jan. 5, 1838, and was educated
at the New York University, where he was graduated in 1863. He commenced
practice in New York, whence, on account of ill health, he removed to
Rondout. From there after a year and a half he removed to Sherburne, where
he has since practiced.
Henry C. Lyman, son of Dr. E. S. Lyman, was born in Sherburne, Sept. 8,
1847, and educated at the academy at Clinton, and at Cornell University.
He studied medicine with his father from 1869 to 1872, having during that
time attended lectures at the Medical University of New York, where he was
graduated in 1872.
Asa W. Jaynes was born in Plymouth, N. Y., July 7, 1851, and was educated
at Madison University. He read medicine with Dr. William H. Stuart in
Earlville in 1869, and with Dr. Jay W. Sheldon, in Syracuse, from 1871 to
'73. He attended lectures at the Hahnemann Medical College in Philadelphia
and the Homeopathic Medical College of New York, and was graduated at the
latter institution March 3, 1873.
Sherburne | Prev
| Next | Chenango
Back to New
York Genealogy Center
Source: Taken in part from Smith, James H.,
History of Chenango and Madison Counties, New York. D. Mason &
Co. Syracuse, NY 1880.
[an error occurred while processing this directive]