Town of Sherburne, Chenango County, New York
Sherburne Fire Department
The first recorded meeting was held at the house of Linus
R. Hopson Oct. 12, 1850, by the "Sherburne Fire Engine Company."
Ira P. Barnes was called to the chair and B. W. Fay appointed secretary. A
constitution and bylaws were then adopted and the following named officers
elected: Isaac Plumb, Foreman; Deloss Burch, First Assistant Foreman;
George Y. Knapp, Second Assistant Foreman; Byron Marks, Secretary; Sidney
L. Starr, Treasurer.
This company was disbanded June 7, 1858, and another organized under the
same name June 9, 1858, of which T. H. Matteson was elected Foreman; L. N.
Beers, First Assistant Foreman; L. D. Burch, Second Assistant Foreman; F.
R. Lyman, Secretary; and D. C. Bresee, Treasurer. The constitution and
by-laws of the former company were adopted. This company was disbanded
August 2, 1858; and a third company was organized under the same name and
by-laws April 20, 1859. The new engine house seems to have been built in
1868. In 1874 a new engine was purchased in Boston.
Torrent Hose Co. was organized Jan. 14, 1875. Feb. 1, 1875, the engine
company adopted the name "Torrent No. 1," and on that day new
rules and regulations were adopted by Torrent Engine Co. No. 1, Torrent
Engine Co. No. 2 and Active Hose Co. No. 1. Officers elected Jan. 6, 1879:
Torrent Fire Engine Co. No. 1--Charles Hart, Chief Engineer; Charles H.
Sanford, Assistant Engineer; M. H. Fish, Foreman; Alfred Wilcox, First
Assistant Foreman; William Crowell, Second Assistant Foreman; William C.
Elsbre, Secretary; Adelbert E. Calkins, Treasurer; Palmer Avery, Janitor.
Torrent Engine Co. No. 2--Isaac Plumb, Foreman; B. F. Matteson, First
Assistant Foreman; D. Reynolds, Second Assistant Foreman; Charles White,
Secretary; W. F. Blanchard, Treasurer. Active Hose Co. No. 1--Charles
Sanford, President; Stephen Holden, Vice-President; R. P. Kutschbach,
Secretary; Nahum Hart, Foreman; H. I. Matteson, First Assistant Foreman;
Charles Waters, Second Assistant Foreman; Charles A. Hart, Treasurer.
The equipment of the Department consists of two engines, two hose carts
and 1,000 feet of hose.
Sherburne | Prev
| Next | Chenango
Back to New
York Genealogy Center
Source: Taken in part from Smith, James H.,
History of Chenango and Madison Counties, New York. D. Mason &
Co. Syracuse, NY 1880.
[an error occurred while processing this directive]