Enter a grandparent's name to get started.
James S. Carson, while not a native of this country, has borne his share so bravely in defence of the rights of the Union, that all right-thinking citizens must inevitably feel proud of so honorable a record. He is a native of Scotland, and from that land of thrift and wisdom brought many of the admirable traits which characterize her inhabitants. He has also been of service to his country in a number of public offices, and may with truth be considered a model citizen.
James Carson, father of James S. Carson, and a son of Samuel Carson, of Scotland, was born in Scotland in 1799, died in this country in 1882. He came to America in 1849 with his family and followed the occupation of farming, which he thoroughly understood. He married, in Scotland, Margaret MacDowell and had children: James S.. see forward, Margaret, Helen, Jane, Agnes, Isabel.
James S., only son of James and Margaret (MacDowell) Carson, was born in Wigtonshire. Scotland, August 22, 1837. He came to America with his parents in 1849, landing at New York City, in which. however, they did not intend to make their home. They traveled tip the Hudson river on the steamboat “Empire,” which was run into and sunk, and Mr. Carson lost his mother and sisters. The remainder of the family continued the journey to Canandaigua, Ontario county, New York, where they immediately engaged in farming. Mr. Carson attended the district schools and then assisted in farm labors until the outbreak of the civil war in 1861, when he enlisted in Company B, Eighty-fifth New York Volunteer Infantry, tinder Captain Clark. He reenlisted in January, 1863, and was advanced to the rank of corporal. April 20, 1864, he was taken prisoner and sent to the Andersonville prison, being confined there until September, when he was removed to Charleston, South Carolina, and from thence to Florence, South Carolina. From this place he made his escape, February 5, 1865, mailaging to reach a United States gunboat, February 14, and was taken to Hilton Head, and from there transferred to Annapolis. Maryland. He immediately received a furlough and returned to his home, where a notice was sent him to report at Elmira, New York, at which place he was honorably discharged, June 15, 1865. He then returned to the town of Farmington, New York, where for a time he was engaged in farming. While living in this town he took an active part in the public matters of the community, and served three terms as justice of the peace. In 1872 he removed to Nebraska, returning east at the expiration of three years. He removed to Shortsville, Ontario county, New York, in 190z, where he has since that time resided. He has served as street commissioner for the village of Shortsville, and in 1909 was elected justice of the peace, an office he is filling at the present time. He is a member of Herendeen Post, Grand Army of the Republic, and has been commander of that body eight years. His religious affiliations are with the Methodist Episcopal church, and he is a steward and trustee of that institution.
Mr. Carson married, July 4, 1866, Mary E., daughter of Charles and Mary (Mason) Jeffrey. Children: C. Edward, born May 5, 1867; Sidney J.. November 17, 1870: Henry H.. September 8. 1875.