- Access Genealogy - http://www.accessgenealogy.com -
Posted By Dennis Partridge On In New Hampshire | No Comments
WILLIAM4 ATWOOD (William3, Joshua2, John1), eldest son and third child of William and Elizabeth (Hall) Atwood, was b. Sept. 15, 1806. He followed his father’s trade of blacksmithing most of his life; m. Nov. 25, 1828, Rhoda Jackson of Cornish, dau. of Capt. Perez and Lucy (Hunter) Jackson, b. May 28, 1803, and d. at White River Junction at her dau.’s home Aug. 20, 1874. He d. in Gorham May 22, 1859. Children, all b. in Cornish:
1. MEHITABLE H., b. Sept. 25, 1829; m. Sept. 1, 1847, Daniel F. Chase, a tailor and afterward a railroad engineer. Res. at White River Junction, Vt., and also at No. Newport. He d. Nov. 22, 1890. Mrs. Chase d. Feb. 24, 1909, in Melrose, Mass. Two children. (See Chase.)
2. RHODA MARIA, b. Dec. 6,1830; d. July 11, 1848.
3. FRANCES JANETTE, b. May 21, 1832; d. Aug. 20, 1847.
4. DANIEL JACKSON, b. May 28,1833; was educated in the schools of Cornish and academies of Meriden, N. H., and Newbury, Vt. Studied law at Newport with Amasa Edes, Esq. ; admitted to the bar in 1859; he m. May 3, 1858, M. Sophia Gunnison of Newport, b. April 25, 1834, d. Nov. 21, 1907, in Claremont. Rem. to Boston in 1860, where he engaged in mercantile and manufacturing business for several years. Then for a time he practiced law and afterwards gave attention to the study and practice of oratory. Possessed of a happy gift of language, he won considerable distinction as a public speaker. He formulated and taught a new system of oratory that promised a great success, but before his expectations could be realized, only in part, he d. at No. Newport, at the home of his sister, May .5, 1882. Three children, all b. in Boston:
A. Frances Janette, b. Dec. 12, 1861, who d. young.
B. Helen Maria, b. Oct. 14, 1863.
C. Harry DeWitt, b. June 10, 1867.
Article printed from Access Genealogy: http://www.accessgenealogy.com
URL to article: http://www.accessgenealogy.com/new-hampshire/william-atwood.htm
Copyright © 2013 Access Genealogy (http://www.accessgenealogy.com/). All rights reserved.